• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing some advice as our lovebird mother has just passed away and we have chicks

duckie-angel

Moving in
Real Name
Belinda
Hi all, am a new member and am looking for help/advice.
Our beautiful lovebird mum has just past away today, we think trying to to lay some more eggs. We have 2 young chicks ( we think around 3 - 4 weeks old ). One has ventured out of the nesting box for the first time only today. The other chick is smaller and still in the nesting box. I am just worried what to do about the chicks. Will the dad still feed them? Any advice would help! Thank-you for your time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How sad. Get in contact with a breeder or avian vet and let them show you how to check the babies crops to see if they are full or not. Keep them warm. With only one parent, it is possible he will get overwhelmed at some point and need some help. You need hands on training in hand feeding before that happens. A lot of breeders are willing to help you learn, though it may cost a small fee. You also want to go to youtube and pick up a good book on breeding and try to catch up now that you have the chicks. Do NOT try hand feeding without knowledge and research first, unless it is an emergency, you can easily kill a chick if you do it wrong. I wish you the best for the chicks survival.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It is possible the male will continue to feed them. Otherwise, you will need to handfeed them, or supplement with feelings while still leaving dad with them. Depends on how he accepts your intrusion in the nest. Lovebirds are not difficult to feed, once they understand where the food is coming from they catch on quickly. The first one or two feelings, sometimes you need to pry gently the mouth open till they taste the food, since you are not experienced at handfeeding I would suggest a very small metal spoon. Most pet shops will sell handfeeding formula and there are many online videos that explain how to prepare the formula. If you feel it best to remove them, heat is very important. A heating pad covered with a thick towel under a container with bedding inside will do fine and a towel to cover top of container. Just make sure it is not too hot, you will know because babies will pant if it is. Babies will need to be fed about every four hours and then can go a good 8-10 hr night.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If you leave with the dad, check daily that you see the bludge in their crop, then you know he is looking after them. Also provide a lt of soft foods, cooked eggs, brown rice, veggies, fruits, etc

duckie-angel

Moving in
Real Name
Belinda
Thank you Lady Jane and parrotluv. We have a avian vet now far from here so I will call as soon as they are open. Will let you know how we go. Many thanks.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has the male been feeding the chicks?

Are you comfortable hand feeding if they need it?

duckie-angel

Moving in
Real Name
Belinda
yes both parents have been feeding them. They are in a aviary outside, it is almost light here so I can check more. I can here the babies now. This all happened yesterday evening so the vet had already closed. If they need feeding I am happy to learn. Thanks