• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Bird Cage?

Panda Pixel

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I currently have two budgies living in a 30x18x18 cage that has been working well for them. But, I'm planning on adopting a cockatiel this saturday! I'm planning on buying a new cage come Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I need some help deciding on one. I was planning to room them all together and see how it goes. My budgies are both still young so I think they could acclimate, but I'll have to play it by ear. If they start to fight, I'll just relocate the budgies to their current residence. The two ones I've been looking at are Amazon.com : HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary with Cart Stand, Black, 1 Per Box : Parrot Cage : Pet Supplies and also http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-F050-Products-Hammertone/dp/B0002AQ228 . I was also looking at these nice, larger cages on craigslist, but they all have 1 inch bar spacing. It's hard to get different styles of cage when most big ones are for large parrots. Anyway, which one of these would you choose? I know the one is larger, but the other looks nicer and more durable. Or, maybe I should reconsider a different bird cage altogether? Any help would be great, I want to make my bird's experience a good one, especially considering the fact it may stay in a cage more than usual.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please keep your budgies and tiel in separate cages. The flight cage you're looking at wold be great for your new tiel. If your budgies aren't getting out as often, you may look into a double flight cage and place a divider with plexiglass between them so all the birds have a larger space.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I would not put the tiel and budgies in the same cage either. Bullying could occur.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Budgies can be notorious bullies especially to tiels lovebirds etc.. like Milo and Gypsy advise I wouldn't put your budgies and cockatiel in the same cage.

I have my budgie in the 1st cage he lived in it with another budgie and there was tons of room for toys food swings and perches.. its really a good cage.

You can put a tiel in this cage on its own it would be perfect for the bird.

You may not get any choice of color if you are bargain shopping but if you can get this cage in coco brown, sage green or pewter white you will be much happier.. the black cages show so much dust and any poop that misses the tray, this makes me insane and constantly cleaning the darn thing because I'm a clean freak. :hehe:

HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary with Cart Stand, Black

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I own budgies and cockatiels. I would NOT keep them housed together. Budgies are mean little nuggets and will annoy/ peck at/ and stress out your cockatiel. Keep the budgies on their current set up, and have the cockatiel go into a cage of his own.

Budgies and cockatiels are great outside of the cage together with proper supervision, but i wouldn't house them together.