• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adoption of eggs?

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
Will a parrot adopt an egg or a baby that she did not lay? If so, what if that egg or baby is of another species?
If they will adopt an egg or baby from another species, what if that parrot is of a species where they flock only within their own species and do not allow other species into their flock?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have seen nature shows where wild birds will lay an egg in another birds nest, not even the same species. This can present a problem when there are size differences. The chick is raised as one of the flock.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Can I ask why you are asking this? If a female is laying eggs already and you place another species egg of similar size, chances are she will incubate it along with her own. And again if the species is of similar size will often raise it as well. I would not put a different size differences. Never put a newborn chick with a female that is not nesting already, she will kill it.

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
Can I ask why you are asking this? If a female is laying eggs already and you place another species egg of similar size, chances are she will incubate it along with her own. And again if the species is of similar size will often raise it as well. I would not put a different size differences. Never put a newborn chick with a female that is not nesting already, she will kill it.
Just wondering, I'm not planning on having my parrot raise an egg and neither is anyone I know. It was just a question that I thought of and couldn't find information on.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
From a breeder friend she was stuck with a situation that the parrot of the one species could not raise a bird. The baby was put with mom of another species. (CAG and Ekkie). These birds feed differently (position is different when feeding) which had to be taken into consideration. Breeders will consult with each other as in this case. The baby did survive.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I read somewhere that in the breeding project for the rare spix macaw, they are taking the eggs out and hand rearing them. They have replaced some of these eggs with similar sized macaw eggs (I think it was a hanhs). They are then monitoring the spix macaws and how well they are able to raise their young. So it is totally possible.

I'm at work right now, but if I remember when I get home I know I will be able to find a link to the article.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I actually had my quaker pair raise two baby dusky pionus for about 2 weeks then I removed for handfeeding. They did a great job but is was a risk do to size difference.