• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bird not eating pellets

Brendancoylee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brendancoyleeeee
My pet galah has a "vitamin a deffiency" and has to eat pellets, ive tried slowly making it more in the bowl with his old food day by day, he eats everything but the pellets and keeps throwing them all over the ground its annoying me what do i do?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What other ways of diet conversion have you tried?

The best way I have used to get seed eaters onto pellets is by NOT feeding seeds ALL DAY long.

Instesd I have pellets in the seed bowl all day long (without the seeds), and I offer fresh veggies and sprouted seeds in the morning.

Dinner time they get cooked foods.

At bed time for one hour, they get a SMALL amount of seed and nuts.

This works every time I have to switch someone to a Better diet.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does he like carrots and or sweet potatoes?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You can also sprinkle crushed-to-powder pellets over the food he does eat.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Roma doesn't care for pellets much either. I mix them in his chop, birdie bread, applesauce, crush and sprinkle on his fruit, just about everything to make sure he is getting at least a little every day.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You may need to try a different brand of pellets, some kiddos won't eat one kind but will eat another.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do something similar to what Mercedez does. I start by mixing pellets with their seeds for a few days or weeks. Then I start gradually reducing the seed mix. Or, if I'm pretty sure the bird knows pellets are food and just doesn't like them, I'll do the same introduction phase and then I'll just eliminate seeds except for a half teaspoon or a teaspoon(depending on size of bird) late at night. Usually they go through a pacing and screaming phase and acting like I'm starving them to death and then they cave and start eating them. I also make sure to add high vitamin A veggies and/or sprouted seeds most days too. Their options are healthy, healthy, and healthy.

They get veggies or sprouts along with pellets in the morning, then bowl change and pellets in the evening with just a few seeds. When I'm doing a diet conversion, I do weigh them every day and I do expect a little drop in weight. But I monitor them to make sure its not an alarming amount. I don't let them starve themselves to death, but I'm not apposed to letting them get good and hungry for a few days for the sake of getting a healthy lifetime out of them. Make sure you have a gram scale and are able to use it before getting too forceful with the pellet conversion. I did have one little cockatiel that simply would not eat pellets in any appreciable amounts period. All my other birds have converted to including them as at least a portion of their diet.