• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mutation help...

pawsitivelycrazy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Debbie
Hi everyone...I wanted to know what mutation these cockatiels are with the white head but darker cheeks and face...Thanks for your help cockatiel.jpg cockatiels.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Whiteface pied something? They sure are pretty!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Definitely white faced pied.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's also a whiteface pearl pied in the bunch!

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
There's also a whiteface pearl pied in the bunch!
Whats a PEARL pied? I think my birds breeder lady said thats what my bird is.. not sure but that wording rings a bell.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
pearl has little spots all over 4th from right on 2nd picture

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This bird in the foreground is a pearl.

This bird is a light pied.

This last tiel is a cinnamon pearl pied

Vincenso, your cockatiel is not a pearl, but he is a pied. If your tiel is in fact a male (and not a young, talking hen), then it's possible that he's a pied split for pearl - meaning that if you were to ever breed him, he could at least throw female pearl offspring every now and then.

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
Thanks..Yeah hes a Pied and nah hes a male for sure. I can almost hold a conversation with him the way he talks. He also has the shorter tail males have. Males just look different in their faces, the little hairs and whiskers they seem to have, my females never had then either. I would laugh my head off if he popped and egg one day :hehe:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Adult males actually have longer tails than females do, at least this has been my observation. It's a very minute difference, but one that I have noticed. When they are young and before their first molt, they have female coloration, so if they have shorter tails once feathering out for the first time, that wouldn't surprise me. They wont start their first molt until AT LEAST 4-6 months in age, although it could be as late as 12 months in age before the first molt into adult coloration. Being that your cockatiel is a pied, he might not change too much in coloration. He may even keep his "dirty face" for life, because he's pied.

Cockatiels are sexually dimorphic, but pied is one of the anti-dimorphic mutations out there, meaning that other factors may be required to identify the gender of the bird. From the sounds of it, you do have a male though!

The three cockatiels I posted pictures of are all females (not counting the male in the background of the first image). The pied hen (middle tiel) can also wolf whistle. ;)

BTW, here are close up pictures of Casey, the third hen's face! :) I like her little hairs! :D

Last edited:

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
I read somewhere generally, males tails are slightly thicker and slightly shorter, will try and find that..
Those pictures are great, but Ill try to put up some close shots of Toffees face, hes only 12 weeks but has WAY more little whiskers than your doll.

Edit// Reading about the tails, it may simply be that females generally have a smaller body than a full grown male maybe..?

Last edited: