• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Sleepy time

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate

I am starting to wonder if sleeping so much is typical of younger lovebirds...? He plays hard, explores,forages, beats up a toy and will do a training session for about 45 min to an hour, then sleeps for at least 30 min. Sometimes is about an hour long.

In the video hes very sleepy n cuddly but rarely actually sleeping. He is lightly clipped but has strong flight anyway. Im wondering if his flight is tiring him? I recieved him clipped as the breeder has mobility issues.

Anyway, I thought Id share. the pink shirt is my "bird shirt" its an old nightgown on my grandmas lol

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I honestly can't remember how sleepy Peanut was at that age but being cuddly is very typical of tame baby birds, so I would expect him to seek out attention and be adorable.
And he's definitely adorable, so cute. :heart:
It is more tiring to fly with a clip, since they get less lift they have to work harder.

My lovebird will do basically the same thing, play for 30 minutes to an hour then sleep and/or cuddle for 10-30 minutes. She'll nap longer but usually only if I'm napping too, she joins me in the recliner where there is no danger of her being crushed.
But she's also probably considered a senior so I can't really say if that's normal for a baby. Maybe? The harder she plays, the sooner she'll nap, sometimes in 15 minutes if she's really being frantic.
She has been doing that as long as I can remember (but like I said I can't remember clearly how many naps she was taking when younger. I know she would always nap but I couldn't tell you how frequently. It does seem like it was fairly frequently though.)

Hopefully someone with a younger lovie can chime in.
I know my post isn't very helpful given their age difference, sorry.

Just to be on the safe side, has he been seen by an avian vet? Either while with the breeder or since you brought him home a few days ago?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cute. :heart:

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
"She has been doing that for as long as i can remember" That makes me feel better. Your posts are always helpful.

Yes, he was vetted same week i brought him home, was given the records and called the vet myself to confirm everything was normal and looked good.

i posted a video in clicker training for those that want to see more of him, he is doing great!

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
oh! while im here.. Ankou, what do you feed? Your peanut looks so bright n pretty :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Our lovebird is a Fischers, not a peachfaced, but he acts about the same. His motto is definitely "play hard, crash hard!" lol

He's a whirling dervish ball of energy- flittering around, attacking his toys, climbing up to the highest perch he can reach and singing his lungs out. Then he is OUT cold. Lather, rinse, repeat. :roflmao:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Thank you. :)
And yes, you got that right, lifelong two year olds. Sometimes I wish she would wear out faster because I'm ready for a break!

Peanut gets Harrison's Adult Lifetime pellets and any healthy safe fruits, greens, and veggies I can get her to eat. Sometimes through trickery, like 'hiding' minced broccoli in something she already likes, like mashed apple and yam. Millet (usually a few clumps off a spray or frond) as a treat, dried fruits sweetened with natural fruit juice as a lesser treat for foraging.
Recently at bedtime I started giving her a senior nutri-berry. It's a new thing and we'll see how that goes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Our lovebird is a Fischers, not a peachfaced, but he acts about the same. His motto is definitely "play hard, crash hard!" lol

He's a whirling dervish ball of energy- flittering around, attacking his toys, climbing up to the highest perch he can reach and singing his lungs out. Then he is OUT cold. Lather, rinse, repeat. :roflmao:
That's EXACTLY how my Fischer's is. :roflmao:

Caryatid

Meeting neighbors
I'm so glad I found this thread. I was just wondering the same thing about Roger as he is currently cuddling down in my hand, using a millet spray that I am holding as a pillow! I tried to get a pic but I woke him up when I shoved the phone in his face and now he's munching :hehe:.