• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avi calm

Shivan

Walking the driveway
Anyone ever used this product? If so I'd like to hear your experiences with it? Thanks :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I've never heard of anyone using that particular product but I have heard of some members using calming essential oils with their birdies but I cannot remember what they were actually called for the life of me.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
My friend used the product for her Congo grey after he required one of his wings to be amputated - we could not really say if it benefited him or not, but more than one vet in South Africa prescribes it.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I tried it for a hormonal, plucking, aggressive with other people, hawkhead. Seemed to work ok at first, but she stopped eating the cooked food I was putting it on. I don't know why. I tasted it and it had zero taste, but it is a very bright white powder so it had to be hidden. She never acted drugged, just pleasant and calm. Worth a shot. You cannot overdose on it, so that made me feel safe about using it

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I tried it for a hormonal, plucking, aggressive with other people, hawkhead. Seemed to work ok at first, but she stopped eating the cooked food I was putting it on. I don't know why. I tasted it and it had zero taste, but it is a very bright white powder so it had to be hidden. She never acted drugged, just pleasant and calm. Worth a shot. You cannot overdose on it, so that made me feel safe about using it
First let me say, I'm not considering it because he's doing aggressive or anything. He's an angel. But almost as soon as the days started getting longer he became EXTREMELY hormonal. He's driving himself nuts...nest seeking, humping, regurg...on almost any surface. He's extremely healthy per recent vet visit. But he's so hormonal and hyper that he's not comfortable. I can tell he's very agitated. This is a seasonal thing with him which tapers off in the summer. I disguised it in Greek yogurt (just a tiny blob). Did you notice the effects immediately or did it take a while?

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I use this for Zoey, she is a plucker. The vet had her on a anti anxiety drug that never seemed to help, even seemed to make her kind of worse because it made her drowsy. I started the avi calm at the same time I started to try to wean her of the meds. Weaning her off went great with no real side effects. Now that she is on just the avi calm it is like I have MY Zoey back. She is super happy again, playful and energetic. Yes she still plucks a little but I think at this point she always will, it is a habit now.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
First let me say, I'm not considering it because he's doing aggressive or anything. He's an angel. But almost as soon as the days started getting longer he became EXTREMELY hormonal. He's driving himself nuts...nest seeking, humping, regurg...on almost any surface. He's extremely healthy per recent vet visit. But he's so hormonal and hyper that he's not comfortable. I can tell he's very agitated. This is a seasonal thing with him which tapers off in the summer. I disguised it in Greek yogurt (just a tiny blob). Did you notice the effects immediately or did it take a while?
Gosh, that's hard to say because it wasn't a dramatic effect so I guess it took a few weeks and was a gradual decline in hormonal behavior. We were also giving her lupron shots also to decrease her hormones, but that never really worked that well. It's been a few years. Let me see if I ever posted here about it since I can't remember too well.

Shivan

Walking the driveway
Gosh, that's hard to say because it wasn't a dramatic effect so I guess it took a few weeks and was a gradual decline in hormonal behavior. We were also giving her lupron shots also to decrease her hormones, but that never really worked that well. It's been a few years. Let me see if I ever posted here about it since I can't remember too well.
Actually, that's comforting to hear, because I'm not looking for a dramatic effect (as if he's been drugged). Just looking for him to be able to relax and not feel overwhelmed by hormones. I don't want his personality to change...he's hyper, crazy, clingy, loud, and the most lovable bird I've ever had. It just seems like he's suffering. Did you dose daily or twice a day? I think I'm just going to do it once a day. I've heard about those shots, and that males don't respond to them as well, so it's not worth the stress on him for a vet visit (we were just there not long ago for "the works")

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I checked and couldn't find anything. I was happy with it though, she just stopped eating it, lol. I definitely only gave it once a day. I would definitely give it a shot. It's a safe product and definitely no drugged effect :) She was pretty much her same self, just not quite as obsessed with me, which was a good thing.

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I use this for Zoey, she is a plucker. The vet had her on a anti anxiety drug that never seemed to help, even seemed to make her kind of worse because it made her drowsy. I started the avi calm at the same time I started to try to wean her of the meds. Weaning her off went great with no real side effects. Now that she is on just the avi calm it is like I have MY Zoey back. She is super happy again, playful and energetic. Yes she still plucks a little but I think at this point she always will, it is a habit now.
How old is she? How long has she been on avi calm? I see in her pic she's a little plucked, but it's not bad. I don't see any skin. She's really cute :) lol, I. The signature pic it looks like her toes are webbed, have you noticed that? That is so cute, like a little parrot-duck! I know it's just the angle of the camera :D

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Zoey will be 4 in May, she has been on the avi calm since August/Sept. It took a few months to wean her off the clomipramine with meds like that you have to do it slowly.
She is actually a bit more plucked than she is in her picture :( That was the problem with the clomipramine is it made her drowsy so she didn't feel much like playing and actually plucked more.
I SO wish I had tried the avi calm before I let the vets put her on pharmaceuticals. Or maybe I should have taken some of it myself. I was so upset when she started plucking and terrified it would escalate to QMS (Quaker Mutilation Syndrome) that I am sure I made it worse.

4feathersandfur

Meeting neighbors
I just got some avicalm for my horrible female. Hoping it helps.

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I have heard a lot of people recommend this product. I use it on my green wing whom is hormonal and a plucker. I really cannot say i have seen any difference. I think the chamomile tea might have better results

Kimberla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have used this in the past for my Umbie, Coby. He was very ill when the previous owner bought him from a pet store. They didn't think he was going to live. She nursed him back to health. To do that, she kept him with her 24/7 - 365 days a year. He never learned to entertain himself or self soothe. He thinks someone needs to be with him constantly. He does these crazy circles in the top of his cage. His feathers are all torn up on the top layer. He tears his mandible up from swinging on the bars. The vet told me to put it in his water. I did. It seemed to make a difference at first and them he went right back to same habit. He is not a treat or food oriented critter so that was out. He is stressed enough we decided not to try to give it to him orally.

Bll

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beverly
I just start my cockatoo on it for feather picking...I think its helping but it makes him sleepy and I'm not using the full amount...he's always quiet and no screaming great stuff...