• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw cage

Adz88

Sitting on the front steps
[/IMG] Hey all I'm thinking about buying a blue and gold macaw iv wanted one since I was 6 and now I have the opportunity to own one just wandering is this cage big enough for him to sleep in thanks

Attachments

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As a "sleep" cage it's fine. More than fine.

Adz88

Thanks as it will be out of the cage all the time and playing with me lol

Adz88

I can't have that size cage unfortunately in my house nikomani id love to I will be upgrading it when we move

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Speaking for myself, I would buy the appropriate sized cage upfront rather than pay for two cages. Financially, purchasing two cages is not cost effective. If you sell the smaller cage, you only get 50% of the price you paid and selling may take a while. Also, who knows what will happen in the future with your time and schedule. If things do change like your vacationing or the bird must be caged for one reason or another, the bird will have the correct cage and is already accustomed to it.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have to agree with alot of the comments above-if your situation changes and your bird needs to be housed in the cage for more then just sleeping you need the biggest cage you can afford. :)

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Minimum size cage would be a 45" x 29" which is what I have had for 12 years. I wish I had the 48"x36". Those few inches do make a difference. I would like to eventually get a double macaw cage. If I had known about the availability of larger cages, I would have done that.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not a fan of "sleep cages" of smaller than appropriate size. I do worry about the bird being fastened in one of those for any period of time. My birds sleep in cages that are large enough for them to be confined if necessary, but they are out as much as possible. My Hahn's have a cage in their room, appropriate in size, that they only use for eating and drinking and chewing toys. The door is always open. And, I'd like to get them a bigger one ;)

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
My thing with that cage is the door is low to the ground and if your little one is being a stinker, goes to the top and back of the cage, you are going to hate that cage because you won't be able to get him/her out.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The minimum I'd put a large macaw in is 30X40 inches. Sleep cage or otherwise. I believe I've seen cages like that one around town and they would worry me about putting a large macaw in them. The wires were flimsy. I like to do a hands on test of the bars before even considering it for a large macaw. If I can grab two bars, squeeze my hand and make the bars move together very easily, then its not acceptable for a large macaw and maybe not acceptable for a large cockatoo. Of course, I have a beast of a large macaw but I've heard of plenty of green wings that snap welds and a few blue and golds.

Also consider that IMO a play gym is almost a must for a large macaw. If you don't have room for an appropriate sized cage, you probably don't have room for a similarly sized play gym. If it were me, I'd consider a mini macaw or a different species if space is a concern. I underestimated the amount of horizontal space a large macaw needs when I got mine. I live in a small house and I'm able to make it work because I don't have any other people living here to object to my play gym hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the living room. Large macaws need room to MOVE. Ideally a cage and a play gym they can FLY back and forth between. Even if given a decent cage size, if the bird doesn't have multiple other places to explore, chew and move around on, it will psychologically feel cramped. I haven't seen that as a problem with my cockatoos and amazons but the macaw seems to have a strong need to stretch out and move across a distance.

Adz88

These are the specs iv not found a bigger cage in my area also it's cage would be opened all the time and I would be getting it s play stand

Attachments

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think the issue people are saying is to be sure you're thinking long term.

Yes, right now, your macaw's cage will be open and it will be on the play stand all the time. So a smaller cage might be ok. BUT at some point in the next 50 yrs you will go out of town, have to work long hours, get sick, get busy... etc, etc. With the longevity of macaws, it truly isn't a matter of "if" things will come up, but "when." And when they do come up, even if it's temporary, that cage will be too small.

Better to get a large cage that will be adequate, then you're prepared for when life happens

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thanks as it will be out of the cage all the time and playing with me lol
If this Is to be used as a sleep cage, the macaw Must only EVER be in it or on it for sleep. It cant play ontop of it.

So youll need several XL playstands throughout the house.

Adz88

Australia. Can someone link me a good cage over here as this is the biggest I can find

Adz88

Yea but it can't fit in my door it would be outside cage

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yea but it can't fit in my door it would be outside cage
I'm confused. :huh: Any cage has to be assembled so it comes already broken down. The individual panels should easily go through your doors and then you assemble it in your house.