• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with new behavior

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Shaylor, my 4 month old miligold macaw, has become quite a little pistol whenever we're putting him back in his cage. He'll spread his wings completely out, and is now firmly pinching my skin in retaliation.

Any suggestions how to help him adjust his behavior? He just started doing it 3 days ago, so I don't want this to become a power struggle down the line. He's not big on taking treats from our hands yet.

Thanks in advance!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Try putting him in backwards, thats what I have to do with my female military, she loves her out of cage time.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've had my share of problems with birds not wanting to go home. :laugh:

With one I'd find something he loved. Usually a toy (like a TP roll) and would allow him to bite that while putting him in the cage.
Another was my little Too that decided that as soon as I put her down, she'd jump around and nail me! Her I ended up giving a little toss to her perch, and retreating fast! I never could figure a way to fix that, luckily she stopped it of her own accord.
With my macaw I'll fill his foraging wheel with nuts. He watches me do it and looks forwards to the challenge of getting them out. I also have to tell him why it's home time, usually I tell him it's time for me to feed the dogs. I ALWAYS do what I told him I was doing. He caught me lying once, and it took ages to get him to believe me again. I now never lie to my macaw!
With him at other times I've had to invent a game. It was 'birdie airplane'. I'd hold him in my hands and 'zoom' around the room. Sometimes I even wrapped him in his fuzzy blanket (biting times), I'd end up 'zooming' him right into the cage. :laugh: He loved that game.
I think you just need to get creative.
Perhaps tossing a jacket on, or something to cover your arms would help? Once in, give some kind of reward. Maybe a cashew in his dish, or something he likes.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great! Thank you! I'm going to put your suggestions into play and see which one solves the problem.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I have had some success with training....
get whatever your parrot deems as the most tasty nibble. Run through some training exercises outside the cage, and then add in a new exercise 'Go home'
Immediately after placing inside, 'Go Home' and hand over the treat. Something very small (already shelled sunflower seeds often do the trick)