• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heating at night for senior birds

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
As you know I have Bodie at home now. The vet said that because if his age he needs extra heat. Here's my question I need help with.

He already has the avitemp panel mounted on the back of his house. I did an experiment and put a temp gauge in his house while he was at the vets. At the place when he sleeps at night it got up to about 79-80
(heat rises) that was with all the sides covered. If I open the front flap halfway it backs down to 77 -78 Is that too hot? He still is not 100% and I need to make sure he stays warm enough.

Also I think I will leave my forced air heating on set at 69-70

What do you all think?

Thanks- it is so good to have him home and I making his little sounds.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So glad he's back home! My vet says 80-85 is ideal for a recovering bird. Sounds like you have it all set for Bodie :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So happy he's home, :hug8:I keep the house between 78 and 80 F all year for my birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that Bodie is back home again. I would probably leave one part of the cover opened a bit or maybe just cover on 3 sides instead of all 4. That was the recommendation that I got when my bird was ill so it wouldn't get too hot. I now have an Animal Intensive Care Unit where I can control heat and humidity.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Welcome home again Bodie. :hug8:
I can tell how much you love him, I'm sure he can too. :heart:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
so happy to hear your lil guy is back home :dance4: speaking of temps, I now live in a colder climate, what should I be keeping the temp at?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a ceramic heat lamp on top of my bourke parakeet's cage, and I don't cover the cage at all. If she wants extra heat, she can sit near or underneath the lamp and get pretty toasty warm! Likewise, she can also move away from it as she pleases. She actually enjoys sitting indirectly underneath it, so one side of her gets a little more toasty warm than the other. I've been told that I shouldn't leave heat on her 24/7 like I am, because it could result in her not molting at all, however, she's molted more feathers after the use of the heat lamp vs before the heat lamp!

My bourke hen should be around 18-20 years old soon, if she's not already that now.

If you can give them an option to move out of the heat, that would be a great option! You'll know if the temperature is too hot if the bird is panting and/or has their wings slightly spread out from their body and feathers sleek.

She's definitely not as active as she used to be! She used to run back and forth on the cage bottom, madly chirping about! Now she doesn't even travel to the cage bottom!