• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breakthrough with Prim

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
Just had a really beautiful moment with my first Lovie Prim. So happy!! She's a peach faced love bird and about 7 months old (just getting over her little hormone moment). Previously she's been quite nippy, though reasonably friendly (when she isn't having a temper tantrum over me preventing her biting something interesting).

Today for the first time I had her on my chest falling asleep as I gave her a head rub! I've tried this before but she never seemed to enjoy it as she was too busy exploring. It seems she settled down enough with me that she actually wants to just be with me. :bliss:

I know that it's probably not all that exciting of a post- but she was just so sweet; nuzzling me and starting to doze off. I just had to share! :swoon:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isn't that precious???? :laugh: Congrats on your bonding!

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
that's awesome!! even small "victories" are still just that. i hope you enjoyed the moment n perhaps got a photo or two. lol :laughing12: :dancing:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's terrific progress that shows trust blossoming. :heart:

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Yay :dance4:, those lil moments make me mushy. Have a 8 mo old lovie myself, ;)

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all your encouragement :xflove:

I wanted to get a pic, but as soon as I moved she was back to her explorative self and not so interested in mushy moments anymore lol. Have to wait for another gold moment.

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Thanks for all your encouragement :xflove:

I wanted to get a pic, but as soon as I moved she was back to her explorative self and not so interested in mushy moments anymore lol. Have to wait for another gold moment.
That gold moment here ;) is about 20 mins before nite nite....otherwise she is like a bumble bee....bzzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzzz. Lol

Last edited:

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
yep, id say about the same. my first day with Argyll yeilded the photos i have now, but he is not cuddily until its later at night now.

i think most of us are overjoyed at the small steps with each member of their flock. thats the joy of working with such intelligent and beautifully wild creatures. No need to feel embarassed over your celebration :hug8:

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
Hi hun, as I work each day with Argyll and reread your posts, i thought of something.. Is prim biting when shes sleepy?

i noticed in just the past day or two that when Argyll is sleepy he is a lovebutton for about 20 min n then if my hand even twitches he nails me.

if it is when shes sleepy, id suggest getting a small piece of fleece and just drapping it over her while she sleeps on you or near you.She will bite that instead.
Also, my best tip(when i remember) is to make Argyll off balance. he breaks his hold to rebalance himself and i get to take my hand away. if she is sitting on your hand and biting, twist your wrist back n forth until you upset her feet. you wont hurt her, but youll teach her that when i bite mommy something bad happens. if shes clinging to your shirt and you go to move her and she bites your hand, take your other hand and tug on your shirt hem till once again, you off balance her.

:hug8: :hug8: and good luck, im about 1.5-2 months behind you age wise for fids.

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Sweifurl :) I've tried the earthquake on the hand, but since Prim normally is on my shirt it didn't work. I'll use your idea of tugging the shirt :) Prim is bity most of the time lol. When sleepy or in the middle of the day.

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
i have been using it a lot. bite the ears too hard? twitch the shoulder.. i usually prep one hand to pull the shirt in the other glides in for a simple step up lol

keep working through it dear, atleast we dont own macaws ;) then wed be missing fingers by this point.. :roflmao:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a lot to be excited about, especially since your little one tends to bite and wasn't so interested in cuddles! One of the most beautiful things in the world when they show you that love.

Caryatid

Meeting neighbors
Congratulations! It's so good to read these stories and get some hope.

Does this mean that maybe Clyde will settle the heck down when he gets a little older (3 months now)? Right now I can only let him out in the bathroom because he runs around like some sort of crazed bullet.