• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent CAG- bad flight test- lost two tail feathers!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When sive gets fussy- I take her out normally- offer her formula and some other avi cakes and such. I did, walked away for a second (over to the sofa) and she tried to fly- she hit the window....

The dog was next to her... and started crying. I look down and saw two red TAIL FEATHERS!

OMG- I am panicing- is she ok? no signs of injury really- she is back in the cage nibbling on pellets and playing with her toys. I cant believe it! what do I do- do they lose tail feathers??!!

(im entirely aware i may be overbearing... my other birds lose feathers- but they are older, and it was not during a crash!)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Sometimes they lose tail feathers due to stress or sudden trauma, I would be more concerned about a potential head injury. Definitely keep an eye on her

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
How is he now? :hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I watched her all night... she seems fine. She is even playing and hanging from her rope- so I guess it was more of a trauma for me then her.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She should be fine. Teach her what windows and mirrors are to prevent her from flying into them :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
She should be fine. Teach her what windows and mirrors are to prevent her from flying into them :)
I would love more information with that- it is hard- they are not normal windows. It is a very large house- the entire side of the house faces the ocean with floor to ceiling windows- the middle is actually a atrium ceiling about 30 ft high.

I take her around and let her 'touch' the window (making sure i only cleaned the window with water), and i show her my hand on it.

As soon as i think she gets it- a couple days later she goes to a spot in which we had not explained to her (ex: 15 ft high in the corner). Is there another method? or just be repetitive?
I have to get a taller ladder. :wideyed: