• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Christmas trees?

Anna M

Meeting neighbors
I'd appreciate advice, thoughts, shared experience regarding having Christmas trees and free flight budgies. We have an artificial tree, maybe 8 years old. I am hoping we can still use it. I've read that if tinsel hangs around it, budgies are deterred from landing on it. It doesn't have sharp points or an odor. It does, obviously have some kind of fake needle. I'm hoping the tinsel deters budgie vacations in the tree.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I imagine a christmas tree looks an awful lot like a giant toy. I can just picture my guys heading straight for the tinsel. I'd just keep them as far away as possible from the tree, for their sake, and the sake of your christmas decorations

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds ignore the tree, ,did I just jinx myself,, ? :facepalm:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Surprisingly, my birds ignore the tree as well. May cat, however, is sadly a different story.

You never know until you try, just be cautious and see how it goes :)

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
All my birds think the Christmas tree is evil and will avoid landing on it. I don't use tinsel or any glass ornaments, but that's mainly because I have cats that use the tree as a jungle gym.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have cockatiels and a lovebird...some years they ignore the tree and other years - I cannot get them to stay out of it.

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
Sally and Teq couldn't care less last year, in fact, the tree stood right the direct flight route from their cage to the kitchen cupboard where Sally prefers to hang out. She simply makes an elegant swoop OVER the tree en route, without (probably) as much as blinking. Simply not interesting, AT ALL. I was quite surprised, have to say.

Give it a try. I admit I had some material ready, made from a cheaper version of what bridal veils are made of, to drape over the tree when the birds were out, just in case the ornaments were in any immediate danger of attack, as some are antiques and others bought around the world on my travels, but I could've spared any worries.

Simply, NOT. interesting! :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This might say it all - 386.JPG 410.JPG P1000001.JPG P1000003.JPG

QBird

Jogging around the block
SandraK perfect response, mine feel that every tree is their's an a giant toy, hence I keep them separate.

Other then chemicals that could be on the tree their are bird safe real trees.

A major issue is what you hang on the tree, i.e. if you own a feathered wire cutter beware of lights on it. Although that being said if birds are not used to be trees it may take a while before they creep up on them, after all it's just another threatening object that could move with a draft.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We had a real tree last year (because of family visiting) and the birds were less interested in it than they were in the fake one (in the photos). Indie did love the giant wreath over the fireplace though.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sammy and Fred like the Christmas Tree, but from afar. Freddy will get in a little closer and beak with a few select ornaments (I make sure they are safe for him). He has his favorite plastic penguin that sits on an ice cube, he'll sing to that one. But they don't ever want to go ON the tree, just near it. :wacky:

Joey has never seen the tree. I don't know if I should let her. I can see issues there. :hehe: