• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw breeder question

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Does anyone know or have any information about a macaw breeder in Winterhaven, FL named Susan McKormick?

I'm considering adopting a rehome bird that came from her aviary. It's a young bird, so i'm very interested in knowing how the breeder raised, fed, socialized, etc her babies.

If you have info but don't want to discuss it publically, pls msg me. Thanks!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump :D

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
How did you get the breeder's name? I would think the current owner would be able to answer all your questions if he/she is the original buyer. Once you get the bird, you will be making all the decisions regarding diet, socializing, etc., so I do not understand the importance of contacting the breeder unless you think you will need help.

I have learned some "aviaries" are actually bird brokers so to speak. They purchase eggs, hand raise them and then sell the birds when weaned. If you are determined to find the breeder, maybe contacting the Florida Department of Agriculture would be the first step. Maybe attending bird fairs in that area will help if you are live in Florida. I am sure bird breeders have their own way of networking.

Last edited:

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got the breeder's name from the current owner. I want info about the breeder because she is still a very young bird (the owners have some sad circumstances forcing them to rehome her when they really don't want to).

I think no one would argue that how a breeder raises their babies matters. Since the bird is so young, the influence of the breeder is, IMO, still going to be heavily felt. So i want to get some impartial info on her.

The owners seem very nice and genuine and have been very forthcoming with information. But the fact remains that they are trying to sell me something. Getting info about the breeder and her practices from someone who doesn't stand to benefit or lose anything by telling me the truth seems like a wise idea

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think I've spoken to her: I almost bought a scarlet from her but decided against shipping, so I could interct with the baby until she came home. And voila!, Ziva! But I digress....

If it's the same lady, she raises scarlets, hyacinths, & GWs. Has an English accent. I think she'd be receptive to talking to you. She seemed knowledgeable about training and diet; I didn't get a bad vibe from her and enjoyed talking with her.