• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bites, is there a Thread for that?

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I remember on KitKatGold's forum (anyone remember that?) once
she or someone else had a bad bite, and it is always a shock and
a psychological hurt as well as physical.

I saw the pictures, and other's pictures, and I have been bitten, of course.

The full gamut. Little Bird (Lilac Crowned Zon) is vey gentle, laid back, thus his name,
Little meaning shy. He bited doftly, even when upset.

Lovey is pretty gentle, to me, at least, she scares my hubby, but I don't think she would disfigure him.

Keikoa bites harder but still no blood.

Bubo and Brandy can break the skin when scared, those 3-prong beaks are
scary, but I remeing DH that they can't kill us, it only hurts for a bit.

Friday is different. She was the pet of a wealthy family, actually their son, who abandoned her to
Mom and Dad when he went off to college. Mom and Dad were clueless. Lovey was confined to a nice, large cage, but not handled at all. She became egotistical and although sings and talks like a trooper,
and loves who she loves, had a bad bite.

Once, coming home from vacation and very tired, I picked up each bird in turn, and forgot that
Friday basically hates me, and she sliced me almost to the bone.
I have to confess that I have reflexes. I tossed her to the ground. The other birds watched and
parrots never forget.
I have worked for 8 years to win her over, never holding her ignorant behavior against her,
she isn't very smart, after all, poor thing, not sure why....

This morning she was waiting for me and as I picked up her water bowl, she got me good.
I yelled, (supplying drama) but slapped her with a washcloth I had been carrying, and
she didn't seem to mind, so I pushed her back with a perch and retrieved the bowl.
I didn't hurt her, and wanted her to know I will not be bullied.
She recently hurt Keikoa, the queen of the bird room, and I don't want her to think
she can be a bully.

After clean up and peroxide.

Doesn't look that bad, but hurts a bit. I'll live.

Anyone want to share their bites?

At least the darn things aren't poisonous!! ;) :laugh: :roflmao: :wacky:

Don't get me wrong, I am dedicated to the little devils, (is there a devil smiley?) but sometimes they make it hard to love them.

She adores hubby and middle son, who lives with us now to finish his Masters.....but she has bit DG a
few times lately. Not hard, but maybe for the drama? ;)

Kimberla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When my Moluccan Leo came to reside with me, he was pretty sure he was going to be the boss of the house. We spent the better part of 18 months figuring out who was going to be the alpha. I held my hand out to him and he stepped up immediately. He gripped my hand as hard as he could and bit me on the fat part of my hand at the base of my thumb. It shocked me so bad, I didn't react well. He just about flew without benefit of wings. Grrr! I took him right back to his cage and shut the door and told him he was a "bad boy". He came to the front of the cage and looked thru the bars with one eye. Pretty sure he told me he was okay with being a bad boy. Everyone says they can tell when a bird is getting ready to bite. Eyes pin, feathers on their head raise up or squint of the eye. He has none of these. There is no reaction just before he lunges to bite. Six years into the love affair, we have a better understanding of one another. He understands if he bites me, he gets to spend the rest of the day in his cage. I understand I need to pay more attention and keep looking for that illusive sign. :dancing:

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Hi Hank! Boy, we go back, you may not remember, you were on KitKat's forum too? And the RV forum?
Always an inspiration.

I;ll check out the near-death experiences in a bit, lol!

Friday gave none of the sigtns, either, Kimberla. She just waited by the front, where she usually moves back a bit.
I come in from underneath her, and thought she could get my fingers, watching for that,....forgot about my hand, I guess.

Haha, "Bad Boy"! I called Friday worse. I hope she doesn't learn to say "Evil Bit$H"!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have had my two rescued macaws since July. We were making process until the time change, now by the time I get home from work they are ready for bed within 45 minutes so they are cranky and are back to biting-very discouraging.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Macaws have big bites but they bite and are done. They tend to crush more with their bite.

Cockatoos have a different bite. Beak shape on tooz are different but that bite is then sharp and deep.

Eclectus bites are some of the worst as ekkies do have a lot of pressure in that beak and their beaks are sharp. They also bite AND don't let go making the bite and damage even worse. Remember, female ekkies defend the nest in the wild. Snakes will climb to raid the nest but those ekkie girls can bite and kill a snake and not just itty bitty snakes. Their bite is matched to what nature requires of them

Yes, other birds bite but I thought I would share about bites delivered to people that I ended up rendering first aid too.

Yes, early on I received a few bites. Since then I have learned a lot about parrot, training and my mantra now is avoid the bite. The best way to do that is to learn about birds, behavior and ways to prevent bites. Leave nesty birds be unless they say otherwise.

Last edited: