• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I handle this IRN?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello,
I am considering taking this female IRN. She's gorgeous and talks up a storm. I think she is 3 years old. The story is that the family had never owned birds, and they have young kids...so she started biting, and got left in the cage more and more. She will talk up a storm, and she was letting me scratch her neck through the cage but after they kept saying how bad the bites are I quit. LOL They said "she is a complete b***"
I have: a rescued pionus that is rather complicated, he will come out but only on his terms. I adore him.
A 4 mo. old baby lovebird that is attached to hubby
A rescued parrotlet, male, age unknown that also loves hubby and can't stand for me to even walk into the room.
An aviary full of finches.

I would really like a bird that 'likes' me...the pionus bites me enough! I don't mind working through it with her, do you think I could even get her to a point where she won't bite? Or just skip it, as I still work with the pi constantly and am also training the lovebird (another biter, but I feel pretty sure it's his age)?

If I thought there was *any* chance we could get over the biting hurdle I would take her in a heartbeat. Leaning on you IRN owners for guidance.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Even of you get her outta there till you can find her a better home is commendable. I always say do what your heart tells you. :hug8:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
When I first got Kiwi he bit bare skin. The owners hadn't warned me and I balled my eyes out cause after only two hours with him he already 'hated' me. He wasn't a baby either. Babies are pretty easy to hand tame even if taken from bad situations. After only a couple months he is now the sweetest thing! Honestly irn's have a bad reputation. I think the little girl your talking about just needs a little love and care and she will surely come back from her Wildish ways.

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
IRN's do have a bad reputation, but they really are the sweetest parrots. On their on terms. Seeing she's 3 it's possibly a hormonal issue. Our Sami went through a similar stage and still get's quite cranky at that time of year. She tolerates me, but absolutely adores my wife. Her mate, Morrie, is just the opposite. He loves me but probably sees the wife as competition? Complicated little buggers.

I say go for it. When ringies are ignored they turn feral. They need daily interaction. She'll come around. And if she doesn't (after all, all parrots are unique - just like us humans) we'll take her in a heartbeat. We're in SWFL also.

Good luck :heart: