• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

happy hut

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ok so ive read here n there but im a bit confused so just want to ask and see what all my aa advisers say...lol ;)

Happy has had a happy hut from day one. She loves it....perches on it,sleeps in it,and occasionally talks to it lol.... :rolleyes: :smuggrin: :xflove: .

Being that she is female and 8 months old....i know soon she COULD get nesty :bored: . So far she hasnt show any aggressiveness or possessivness of her happy hut. I can literally put my hand all the way thru it ,move it, change it out ...and so forth. :xflove:
She does shred things....however so far no tucking bits in her tail or carrying the bits up to her hut. So.....do i follow the general rule of thumb and take her hut from her now before it starts :huh: ...at what age does egg laying/nesty behavior start?

Im not wanting to take her hut right now because it is getting really cold, we have only space heaters.and no central heat so itsa way for her to conserve heat.

I keep the lights minimal....but honestly i can remember if im suppose to have more light to avoid laying or less light. :banghead:

Thanks in advance...sorry im still learning even though i joined almost a year ago. :o:

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Not all birds get aggressive with their huts. I would just keep doing what you are doing and keep an eye on her

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Not all birds get aggressive with their huts. I would just keep doing what you are doing and keep an eye on her
Thanks, do you know which on the light thing? Is it more or less light to lessen laying ? I.do rearrange her.cage ALOT. she gets her happy hut moved all the too...sometimes high sometimes lower...left right and so forth. Trying to make it feel like a somewhat changing.enviorment so maybe she wont go into lay mode.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
With cockatiels, and I'm assuming it's the same for lovebirds, it's more hours of darkness to stop laying. (Because it's darker longer in the winter and birds lay in the spring is I believe the idea. So it tricks them into thinking it's winter. Which it is here! Brrrrrr.)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
With cockatiels, and I'm assuming it's the same for lovebirds, it's more hours of darkness to stop laying. (Because it's darker longer in the winter and birds lay in the spring is I believe the idea. So it tricks them into thinking it's winter. Which it is here! Brrrrrr.)
Ok, awesome. I usually only have a lamp on and she gets her 2hr morning sun thru the window....and then shes back to her livingroom spot. I move her to the back room for her sunning becase my husband works nights.and sleeps all day so.her happy hey im awake ,i like this sun stuff and let me see how loud i can yell at the cat outside the window routine albiet funny drove my husband nuts in regards.to his sleep. So she gets to be her happy self and.sun...but then shes back in the dimly lit living room. Its been pretty cold in this house but our little space heaters do the job. Ok.im rambling...sorry.
Thanks for the help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's total hours of darkness at night- not really day light hours. Like for tiels, they say they should get 10-12 hours of sleep a day. So to decrease hormones, you would increase the sleep/dark time to 12-14. Hope that helps. :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I think it's total hours of darkness at night- not really day light hours. Like for tiels, they say they should get 10-12 hours of sleep a day. So to decrease hormones, you would increase the sleep/dark time to 12-14. Hope that helps. :)
Ok that makes more.sense. basically just make.bedtime earlier by turning out lights and so forth, i hope i dont have to do ot because.im so suckered in by her please no nite nite face and looking at me as.if im killing her when i finally make her go to bed lol, she now says love u ,..when.is ay ok happy its.nite.nite. time....shell cuddle close and.say love u. Ugh,,,,,amd hour later i finally put her in, she knows im a push over :lol:

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
I was debating whether I should take my lovie's Happy Hut too, but she loves it so much. I think, unless it becomes a problem, you shouldn't worry about it. :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My lovebird loves her hut...I don't think it makes her nesty. I limit the amount of paper I put in her cage as well as shedding toys - these seem to make her nesty. I give her more toys with bells and stainless steel toys from AS that make noise -

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
My lovebird loves her hut...I don't think it makes her nesty. I limit the amount of paper I put in her cage as well as shedding toys - these seem to make her nesty. I give her more toys with bells and stainless steel toys from AS that make noise -
Well i think happy may be like your lovie.....most of her toys are plastic n bells, this bird is nutty for bells, but i do usually give her one shreddable because.i find she is less nippy after having something to shred. So far she just shreds n goes, if i notice more nesty like behavior i will remove em. Honestly i was surprised that at 8 mo she hasnt gone nesty. Perhaps my moving things around alot helps. Whatever is working im happy about it...as im enjoying our closeness. She did have a go at me last night.....but it was my fault. She was content on my shoulder and i kept trying to get her to play with her bobber toy...she warned me once by a gentle nip and i pushed it and offered the toy again....she reemed me good for that. Lesson learned. :rofl: