• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Busy Beak Budgies

QBird

Jogging around the block
I know this is a silly question but my northern parrot supplies are running low and looking through what is here well I am left wondering what do budgies chew through best, okay the big birds are easy even a tiel of pyrrhura, but budgies are tiny and lots of things are plastic/acrylic for them. Do they chew or chirp and preen most of the day, I know they have one swing perch toy they disassemble and seem to get back to take it to pieces again as soon as I fix it.

I feel like I need to find some wood type ideas, things to chew? Do you get shredder things for budgies and can they find fun in foot toys?

I know a lot of the toys I would get would dwarf them or their beaks would not stand a chance at denting the toys, or am I just being overly precious due to their tiny size?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Budgies are terrible chewers and will gnaw through a wooden perch when in breeding condition so its always good to give them something to chew. My budgie likes branches I get from a friends weeping willow tree or he especially likes to chew on chunks of fresh sugar cane he shreds this to a pulpy mess all over his cage. :D

He also likes agave kabobs and most shredding toys which are made for budgie size beaks or you can offer plain old typing/photo copy paper or adding machine paper for your bird to destroy. There are lots of sites you can google for budgie chewing toys that will give you lots of ideas what to buy or maybe make on your own.

Product Listing - TOYS-NATURAL

QBird

Jogging around the block
Thank you so much Mr Peepers I will try some of the shredders with them, it just seemed as though they were big :) I am surprised that they can get through a perch so far they seem to struggle with a sunflower seed, yet my big girl will decimate a walnut intact and many of the others take on a hazel nut.

Also will give them some paper, as the other birds do enjoy it being folded into the bars to destroy too. I like the grapevine rings I can try and order some of this for my folks to bring over when the come for Christmas.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Things that my guys like the best are:
  • Balsa
  • Yucca
  • Popsicle Sticks
  • Vine
But honestly, given enough time and will power, they can destroy literally anything :lol:

Popsicle sticks soaked in flavored jello or soak popsicle sticks in orange juice cranberry juice grape or fruit punch and then dried can make their chewing even more tastier.

Melissa Marie

Meeting neighbors
Mine in particular enjoy a hayball!

Amazon.com : Ware Manufacturing Hay Ball, Assorted Colors : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

I stuff it full and tight with oat hay and alfalfa (you can find in the small mammal section of any pet store) with a piece of fruit or millet packed in, and they LOVE it. He's also a HUGE fan of colored tissue paper and rope toys, as well as toys with tree bark worked in to them. Most anything I pick up at the bird farm or pet store toward the small side of the toy spectrum the love.

But hay ball. Hay ball ALL DAY.

QBird

Jogging around the block
Popsicle sticks oh I have some of these.. what wonderful idea MyAussieFriends and Mr Peepers I'll try that today

Oh and a hay ball would be nice and simple to make, I could get the "stuffing here" and the ball is reusable which is even better :)

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Mine love yucca! I just got them that shredder, the 30 ft one, and they seem to like that a lot as well! They also love paper towels(plain).
Recently I've noticed Echo chewing on his hanging ladder. I'm not sure of the wood type, but its from Petsmart, and its got the hearts and everything on it, its like the basic wood they use for most of their toys lol.

Going off of what @Mr Peepers said, my friends budgie, who is a female, chewed through her wooden dowel the other day!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like there's a pretty common theme :lol:Mine particularly love soft woods like balsa and yucca, but they are happy to work at pine. Alphabet blocks and vine toys are big favorites, as well as bells and Popsicle sticks. They love cardboard and magazines. My siblings get the Highlights magazine and the paper isn't glossy so I rip a hole in the middle of the magazine and they LOOOOOOVE it.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Sounds like there's a pretty common theme :lol:Mine particularly love soft woods like balsa and yucca, but they are happy to work at pine. Alphabet blocks and vine toys are big favorites, as well as bells and Popsicle sticks. They love cardboard and magazines. My siblings get the Highlights magazine and the paper isn't glossy so I rip a hole in the middle of the magazine and they LOOOOOOVE it.
Omg my boys love bells to death. Like if I give them a new chew toy or any new toy with a bell on it, that is the first thing that is played with :lol:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg my boys love bells to death. Like if I give them a new chew toy or any new toy with a bell on it, that is the first thing that is played with :lol:
Only one of my girls is a fan, but her enthusiasm makes up for the other one's disinterest. :rofl:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Only one of my girls is a fan, but her enthusiasm makes up for the other one's disinterest. :rofl:
Its so great watching her isn't it?! Lol. They had that one toy with four balls with bells inside of them but they untied the string and so they all fell to the ground. So now they have four balls about half their size sprawled around the bottom of the cage that they always try and pick up and it is the funniest thing ever haha. They use all their might to make those bells jingle :D