• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

adding a male

animal_crazy210

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
So i got my 1st cockatiel 2 years ago. Sydney (was told she was 1.5yrs when i bought her, but no band) being my first bird i didn't think twice about asking questions. so i really don't know her age. almost a year ago she started pacing and showing signs of depression so about 2 months ago i bought her buddy. Boston a pied 2 year old cockatiel was sold to me as a male. and about 1 month ago she laid 2 eggs and just laid another last night. the 2 will not bond, syd wants her to be her buddy but boston wants nothing to do with her. so i was thinking about getting a male to put in the cage with them and try to rehome boston. oh the cage is 36x24x24. any advice?
View attachment 189334 tiels on the top half

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
You can not make birds bond. Some birds will want to be friends, while the other won't. Please don't re-home Boston and get another tiel! That is not fair to her. :( And if you were to get another, don't count on him liking Syd. Not all birds will get along.

animal_crazy210

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
ok so i keep boston and sydney would i be able to put another bird in there?

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
It is possible but just remember housing birds together is like picking random people off the street and forcing them to share a bedroom not everyone will get a long and it can take a long time for some birds to accept others.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My two tiels are male and female, but they are not bonded at all. They get in many arguments, and one is always picking on the other. They live in seperate cages, but I let them out together. Even though they are still not bonded, they like having each other around. If one goes into another room, the other will follow. It's comforting to them to just have another bird around. I'm sure Boston and Sydney find comfort in each other, and are still friends.
It's hard to know if you got another bird weather they would get along.

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
You mentioned that sydney got depressed, do you know what cause it? Sometimes getting another bird is not the only solution. She maybe bored, she may want you to spend time with her etc. so dont give up on boston and sydney.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If they don't get on with one another when being housed together then perhaps separate them so they can enjoy each other's company from afar? A lot of people have birds to keep the other company but it doesn't mean they'll get along. Like it's already been said, getting another bird could just mean that she has yet another bird in the mix she doesn't get along with. It's entirely up to you, but I wouldn't be rehoming your other in exchange for a male

animal_crazy210

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
yes sydney would pace at the bottom of her cage for hours. i would cage her toys, buy her new toys, rearrange her cage, and would spend extra time with her. shed be good for a few days and back at it again. when i intro'd her to boston (1st thought was a male) they seemed fine boston was nervous but they sat next to each other. sydney stopped passing and starting really playing with her toys. she was even willing to try new foods because boston was eatting them. then boston started laying eggs about 1 month ago and attacking sydney so i put boston in a small travel cage for a week and she laid another egg. after i took the eggs away i put boston back in with sydney and all seemed better, not bonded but better. now a 5 days ago boston started laying eggs again and just laid #3 today. shes ery aggressive with me but still not very nice to sydney. if i had room for another cage in my room that would be great, but i don't, so i need a friend (that can be caged with her) that isn't a bully. and thats why i was considering rehoming boston.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Broody hens are not going to play nice anyway. The more you take the eggs away the more eggs she will lay let here sit on them until she gives upon them.

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
yes sydney would pace at the bottom of her cage for hours. i would cage her toys, buy her new toys, rearrange her cage, and would spend extra time with her. shed be good for a few days and back at it again. when i intro'd her to boston (1st thought was a male) they seemed fine boston was nervous but they sat next to each other. sydney stopped passing and starting really playing with her toys. she was even willing to try new foods because boston was eatting them. then boston started laying eggs about 1 month ago and attacking sydney so i put boston in a small travel cage for a week and she laid another egg. after i took the eggs away i put boston back in with sydney and all seemed better, not bonded but better. now a 5 days ago boston started laying eggs again and just laid #3 today. shes ery aggressive with me but still not very nice to sydney. if i had room for another cage in my room that would be great, but i don't, so i need a friend (that can be caged with her) that isn't a bully. and thats why i was considering rehoming boston.
Regarding sydney pacing at the bottom of her cage, it's not a sign for depression. cockatiels are natural ground foragers and walk around on the bottom of the cage frequently. You did mention that both sydney and boston got along at the beginning, it was just after boston laid egg that boston became aggressive. This is totally normal as boston is laying egg, she will be territorial and aggressive. My suggestion is to seperate the two teils while boston is laying egg. You should not remove the egg, otherwise she will keep on laying eggs.
Cockatiels, egg laying process, chronic egg laying in cockatiels and single birds, female cockatiels laying eggs,chronic reproductive syndrome,
single birds laying eggs, how to stop
a cockatiel and other birds from laying eggs, how avian bird eggs are fertilized, avian female reproductive system.

Again, getting a new bird doesnt guarantee that sydney will get along with it. But again the final decision is yours.