• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Camicide replacement--need recommendations

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have always used Camicide as a bug spray inside and outside of the house because it is OK around birds (as long as you don't overspray or spray the birds directly) but now it is no longer available. What bug sprays are you using that are bird safe and effective?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have never heard of a bird safe insecticide here in SA. The aviary is visited by very large cockroaches at this time of year. They love the scrap vegetation and food which is washed out every evening.

Once a week I wait for a windy night, cover all the cages while birds are sleeping, open both aviary doors so that a strong airflow moves through the aviary, and then attack the roaches with a standard spray (sparingly). They're always round the outside doors.

Any that escape the spray of death begin running up the walls, so I run round like a maniac throwing things at them, typically my shoes lol.

My babies sleep to the sound of me smacking the roaches into pulp on the walls lol

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Sevin is a powder form and is safe around the birds. and it works I know. Breeders have used it for years and sprinkle a little in the nest boxes

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you really need to use any of them or are you using them just in case?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get ants in the garage and sometimes in the house and so I need to use something. I was looking at this: Amazon.com : Control Natural Aviary and Cage Bug Spray Gallon : Insect Repellents : Pet Supplies but the review was horrible (only one review, though) and the person who reviewed it used to use Camicide, too. Camicide contains pyrethrins and that is now restricted in CA. :( I've started spraying the ants with "green" eco friendly window cleaner and that seems to work but only if you spray a lot on them.

Has anyone used that bug spray linked above?

Last edited:

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
black pepper keeps ants away. Just sprinkle some where the ants come in the house they will not pass over the pepper. It is what I use in my kitchen.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
black pepper keeps ants away. Just sprinkle some where the ants come in the house they will not pass over the pepper. It is what I use in my kitchen.
I already do the black pepper trick but sometimes those ants find their way around that. :(

Schatz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rhonda Smith
I too miss Camicide and have not found a replacement. I tried buying the main ingredient and using it which was possible but it is mixed with water instead of the OILY foundation that Camicide had. If you find something please let me know as well as I cannot seem to find a suitable replacement anywhere or in anything. :) :laugh:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try chili powder (or red pepper flakes) mixed with 3 to 4 cups vineager. (USE A OLD PAN THAT YOU NO LONGER CARE ABOUT) heat the vineager until it's boiling, stir in 1 cup red pepper flakes or 3/4 cup of chili powder into vineager. simmer for at least 10 minutes. let it steep for several hours. Strain several times to get all the flakes and powder out (use coffee filter) so you don't plug up the spray bottle. i use to have carpetner ants on my deck this stopped them in their tracks.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That chili pepper mix sounds interesting. Why does one need an old pan for that? Does the smell & taste just remain on the pan? I don't have any old pans just a very good set of stainless ones.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I too miss Camicide and have not found a replacement. I tried buying the main ingredient and using it which was possible but it is mixed with water instead of the OILY foundation that Camicide had. If you find something please let me know as well as I cannot seem to find a suitable replacement anywhere or in anything. :) :laugh:
I am thinking of going to the bird store this weekend and picking up some of that Mango Pet Natural Aviary Bug Spray.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
This is way old school but I swear it works....baby powder. I had lots of ant problems but if you put it at the borders of where they're tracking they don't come back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've replaced Camicide with Avian Insect Liquidator.

Last edited by a moderator:

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am thinking of going to the bird store this weekend and picking up some of that Mango Pet Natural Aviary Bug Spray.
I use that this time of year, we get those really tiny ants that seem to move a 100 miles a second and it does the job. For roach and centipede season, I move the birds into the bedroom and sprinkle Diatomaceous earth under their cage at night and vacuum in the morning, I have seen pigs get stung and die from centipede bites and have been bit twice in twenty years and had to go to the emergency room. We have caught three of them under their playstand over the years and we tend to get those giant roaches around Hurricane season in Hawaii.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use that this time of year, we get those really tiny ants that seem to move a 100 miles a second and it does the job. For roach and centipede season, I move the birds into the bedroom and sprinkle Diatomaceous earth under their cage at night and vacuum in the morning, I have seen pigs get stung and die from centipede bites and have been bit twice in twenty years and had to go to the emergency room. We have caught three of them under their playstand over the years and we tend to get those giant roaches around Hurricane season in Hawaii.
The Mango spray never worked for me. Had to drown the ants in it to get rid of them.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Mango spray never worked for me. Had to drown the ants in it to get rid of them.
Sorry about that :(
My sister swears by placing small bowls of water with a squirt of dishwashing liquid (Dawn) around cages and playstands.