• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions and tips on the Avitech heating panel

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
My house is low-mid 40's as my dad refuses to have the heater on (I turn it on when he's at work cause its too cold for me) so right now Riley has a 250watt heating lamp on her and 3 sides of the cage covered by a heavy blanket.
I would think with the heating lamp that's all you would need, but make sure it does not get to hot in the cage.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I have 4 and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them they are very safe

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
The problem with heat lamps is they constantly produce light which is interfering with Riley's sleep. Its actually cheaper to purchase these heat panels than s ceramic heat bulb which I find interesting.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
It is cheaper to run the heat panel as they use less electricity, but when I look at AviTechs web sight you can get a 10 inch reflector with a 150 watt bulb for 1/2 the cost of a heat panel. So I don't know where you are looking. I also talked to the owner of avitech and she told me not to use the thermostat with the ceramic bulbs as they would drastically cut the life of the bulb.
I do love our heat panel though.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Is the bulb ceramic? I mean I can purchase a night bulb for $11 but the light still keeps Riley up a ceramic bulb on msbs is $28 but the shipping is about $90

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Is the bulb ceramic? I mean I can purchase a night bulb for $11 but the light still keeps Riley up a ceramic bulb on msbs is $28 but the shipping is about $90
Wow where do you live Mars? I just ordered from MSBS and shipping was free since I ordered $85 worth of stuff but even if I ordered less shipping would be less than $15 .....Check the AviTech sight. You do need a reflector with a ceramic bulb socket also though these bulbs get hot.

Mardena22

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marcia
I want to purchase one for my Grey but not sure what size to get. I know what the suggestions are but what would be best if you don't cover the cage at night. My grey can't stand anything covering the front of his cage. I do cover the back and sides. Should I purchase a bigger panel for that reason? We do turn our central heat down at night so I was thinking it may be better to get a large one. My grey is in a cage that is
38.3 L X 38.3 W X 65 H IN

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I want to purchase one for my Grey but not sure what size to get. I know what the suggestions are but what would be best if you don't cover the cage at night. My grey can't stand anything covering the front of his cage. I do cover the back and sides. Should I purchase a bigger panel for that reason? We do turn our central heat down at night so I was thinking it may be better to get a large one. My grey is in a cage that is 38.3 L X 38.3 W X 65 H IN
I have a double flight cage and the largest size panel. For that cage (maybe twice your size?), uncovered, the only benefit is if the bird is sitting right by the panel - the heat disappates pretty quickly. I imagine yours would be the same. Covered at night is moderately better, but it isn't going to warm a cage as large as mine. So don't think of it as something that'll necessarily undo turning your central heat down. However, if I attach it to a small travel cage as a 'hospital' cage and partially cover it? It gets nice and toasty in there. Your best bet is probably to get a large one and have it somewhere in the cage that does get covered, since it's partially covered at night - probably near wherever your grey sleeps. That'll give you the best bang for your buck re: heating power and your grey can still sleep near the uncovered part of the cage if it prefers.

All that said, even with an uncovered huge cage, sitting by that panel was my elderly GCC's favorite spot and the younger one break into her hospital cage to sit by it after I removed it from the flight cage. So even if its effects are somewhat limited due to your cage size, your grey will probably still love it.