• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Musk Lorikeets

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I don't know much about them but I was told by a CAV that you really need to get the diet spot on with the smaller lorikeets as they are not as hardy as the rainbows and due to their special diets and short digestive systems they would have the same messy droppings.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They're reportedly not as bold as the rainbow, known to be a little more quiet and can't talk well.

Other than that as Ann Marie said there is less room for error with diet due to their smaller size but they can be as messy as any other lorikeet can. :)

Steve Weir

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys

As I said in a previous thread. I took my Rainbow to the RSPCA as I worked out it was a wild bird. They rushed her into a vet asap to get her wing fixed which is good. And they said once her wing is fixed they would then pass her on to a local native wildlife carer for rehabillitation. I asked them if she flies again and is strong enough to release back into the wild to release her in the area where I found her so that she can rejoin her flock. So all good.

But now I have the bird bug again, something I haven't had since my early 20s and I am now 42.

I'm not completely sure I can afford the time Lorikeets demand. I work rotating shifts at work. I am a bus driver. So some days I start work at 4am and finish around midday. Some days I am on day shift so I start 6 or 7 am then finish at 7 pm. Then some days I start midday and finish at 11 pm to midnight. So as you can see some days especially in the winter months and nights I can't enter the aviary to feed and clean because it would be dark and I don't want to give the birds night fright.

So basically I think I need to breed seed eaters which are more "set and forget" Because I have a ton of experience with them and I know as long as I or someone in my family gives them fresh water every day and they have plenty of seed then it's all good. And I can clean the bottom of the aviary on the weekends.

I marked out an area in my back yard where I want to build the aviary it's 3.5 meters wide by 6 meters long the shelter will be 2.5 meters high and the flight will be over 3 meters high. I have the potential if the Mrs agrees to make 2/3 of the backyard a huge planted flight which would be about 12 meters by 5 meters as as high as I can make it. So my main question is what Australian Native parrots would suit my requirements? I was thinking of Eclectus but after doing some research into them I have worked out they are just as much work as Lorikeets. I don't want the stereotypical Budgies and Cockatiels. I was thinking of maybe Princess Parrots but I was horrified by the price people are charging for them nowadays. So then I was thinking if I was going to spend that much on relitively common birds I may as well spend the money on something like Crimson or Eastern Rosellas and King Parrots. What do you guys think?