• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

fledgling mynah

yann

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
yan
Hi everyone! today i found a young mynah at a train station that was continuously trying to jump into a glass wall, i moved it to another corner and watched if the parents came back for it. No other mynah came near and there was even a small kid that chased it and started kicking it :sour: the train station was incredibly crowded and there would be a very high chance that the lil fella would get trampled or kicked by accident so i decided to bring him/her home.

quite a bad pic sorry but the best i could get today

i have a few questions on feeding as this fella does not seem to be hungry or have any sort of response to food. all the stores have run out of the softbill pellets so i fed about 6 little balls of mushy kaytee formula and ground up cat food, also gave a dried mealworm and a bit of banana. is that enough for one feeding?? and is there any way to trigger some hunger response?? he just sits there like a rock when i wave the food in front of him. i had to open his mouth and pop the food in though…since he wouldn't open his mouth, is that bad?? :o:

also, he keeps trying to escape from the cage and i feel really bad for him :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do some research on his native foods and try to give him those. If you plan on release soon, handle him as little as possible. He's wild and scared,That's why he's trying to escape, and not eat, :hehe: when you do release, do it in a safe area, preferably with others of his kind. But make sure he is eating on his own. Thank you for helping him. I dont know how the hee hee got there . sorry.

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Sometimes it can take a while for youngsters to learn that you're the source of food. In the beginning, I usually have to open their mouths and pop the food in, until they realise that I'm a source of food, then they start gaping. I fed Kaytee formula mixed with mashed up banana. For weaning I hydrate dried meal worms, feed chunks of fruit etc :) they go through a lot of food, so be prepared! Also, when they're really young, the parents feed them every 10 minutes, so expect to be quite busy! Good luck, I hope it goes well. Thanks for taking the little thing in

yann

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
yan
thanks for all the advice!!i'll put it to good use once he is back with me~ fingers crossed he makes it!! :depressed:

found it odd that he kept screaming when grabbed...upon closer inspection we found an open gash on his left wing to neck area. at the vet's now so hopefully he'll pull through! :unsure1:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope he's OK. :hug8:

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I hope he turns out fine! Would you keep him as a pet? Or are you planning on releasing him?

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
i just purchased a hill mynah... 8 months old apparently, had him tag and licensed for rm100, on the food issue there was this good article about mynah, mynahbird.org but the site seemed to have been taken down, i don't want to feed you misinformation but i think that mynah is already a fledgling correct me if i'm wrong that means he can eat softbill pellet food(low in iron), i'm giving my mynah(spotty) local pellet food with fruits, they only have one variety in most shops in KL even the big pet store outlets, if it isn't a fledgling you should feed him baby bird formula, i'd be surprised if its hard to find where you're from, they sell those here in huge plastic packets for rm8 each with my resident bird shop, for babies you feed him every 30 min for fledgling you feed him every 2 hours and no need to feed at night.

please take my advice with a grain of salt as i'm just going off memory and if my memory serves me wrong i hope the bird doesn't suffer a tragedy, wish the best for your bird :) :D

here is a link, tried my best, best of luck :)
Mynah Birds - Feeding | VCA Animal Hospitals

yann

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
yan
so this little guy healed up well after his surgery and is doing real good now :D but i'm conflicted as to whether to release him or not…he only eats pellets now despite my best efforts to introduce new food :( rice, meat, vegetables, fruits and so on are all rejected by him!! any opinions on whether or not he should be released? :wideyed:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have any wildlife experts or rehab people near you? That would be your avenue of letting him loose. Only eating pellets is a problem as you know. Good luck.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
What did the vet advise? I agree with Dianne...probably best to try to get ahold of a bird rehabber in your area. I believe you somehow have to teach them to eat bugs in their own before release. Best of luck!

yann

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
yan
just an update on d lil guy…he has been successfully released about a week back. seen him join some of the other mynahs around here in a group but he still comes back for food every once in awhile :) we leave food and his old cage in the same place so that he can always come back for food if he wants to!

i decided not to keep his as a pet because he is not quite a "pet"…he did not like human company and would always be calling out to the other mynahs out there. i knew he would be happier out there where he could be once again a free bird :heart:

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
just an update on d lil guy…he has been successfully released about a week back. seen him join some of the other mynahs around here in a group but he still comes back for food every once in awhile :) we leave food and his old cage in the same place so that he can always come back for food if he wants to!

i decided not to keep his as a pet because he is not quite a "pet"…he did not like human company and would always be calling out to the other mynahs out there. i knew he would be happier out there where he could be once again a free bird :heart:
Congrats @yann !! That is terrific that you were able to successfully release him :) Really happy it all went well! :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a great thing you did! :hug8: