• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking with a difference!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Lots of us have had incidents of birds plucking themselves, but I have to be different lol

Noticed the feathers a little light on the back of Spot's head last week. Didn't think much of it, all the GTC's are moulting now.

When It got worse over the weekend I decided to catch her ( she doesnt like being handled) and have a close look.

About 20 feather shafts gone, I mean down to the bare skin like she shaved herself.

??? How can she do it?. She cant!. There's another culprit. With 4 WBC's now paired off in new cages, it cant be them. Its Bam_Bam, Igor, or Evil Eva.....

The plot thickens...

For now Spot is curtailed in her own cage to protect her growing feathers.

After THAT, I have NO IDEA what to do next

JP

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm playing with the idea that its breeding related. Spot and Bam_Bam abandoned their nestbox months ago, and prefered until recently to sleep on Igor/Eva's nestbox, under the covers.

Last few days they've been pushing into their neighbours nestbox in a 'menage a quatre' lol

Maybe somebirdie thinks that's a bit too French lol

The little rotters love bursting into someone else's nextbox and causing chaos. I lost Cha-Cha's first fertile egg this way last week.

papa is gonna have to step in again and lay down the law!

JP

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You certainly have your hands full! My male caique went bald on the top of his head a few years ago. The vet could not find a cause-no mites, no infection. We suspected it was hormonal. He gave me something (steroid soln.?) to put on it. They eventually grew back and it hasnt happened since. He did look cute with his little bald patch though!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Update: Spots feathers completely recovered. No signs of previous damage now
JP