• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To clip or not to clip...

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
So if you all aren't familiar with this Cockatoo, you should probably watch some videos. Highly funny, and dirty.

In this video someone calls people to clip their bird's wings, and keeps the bird in a cage "evil."
Saying a bird shouldn't have their wings clipped, its like taking away the legs on a human. People have teamed up with this person, saying a "birds love and affection for their human would keep a bird around them."
Does anyone believe this?

I think its complete crap, craigslist is full of people who have lost their birds. Main reason : They get spooked. I tried to tell the people once a bird gets spooked, the bond doesn't matter. The bird will flee until it's fair enough away (or cannot fly anymore because of clipped wings.)

I also think these people don't own a bird IRL.
:blabber: :blabber: :blabber:

eleni

Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
Well, my bird's wings are not clipped. But, I don't ever take her outside unless she is in her travel cage. Inside my home she is free to fly. I take her out of her cage several hours a day, and I feel that both of us highly enjoy the fact that she can fly. The way I look at it, birds are made to fly and as a bird owner I think it's my responsibility to protect her right to fly, and provide a safe indoor space for her to do so. I think flying is a part of what gives birds their dignity, power, and grace. Flight is something that demands respect, and as a bird "owner", I am humbled by it. Personally, I would never want to take that away. However, I don't think people who clip are "evil". I just would challenge them to see if they could re-evaluate the reasons why they clip, and see if they can't consider full-flight in the future.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine aren't clipped, either. Some of my flock arrived here clipped, but once their flight feathers grew out, I saw a change in their little personalities for the better. They are happier and much more confident.

It's all about monitoring their environment. If you can do that, then there's no reason why you need to clip them. Just my 2 cents.

QBird

Jogging around the block
oh my the age old 'discussion'.

As with Nikomania mine are fully flighted unless they have come here clipped in which case we do not clip them when/if they regrow. IMHO opinion they get more confidence and exercise is great for calming them down and wearing them out.

I do empathise with those who clip (as long as the wings are well clipped) this is especially useful when you have a dive bomber which hates or attempts to launch aerial attacks and you have no where to keep it from it's target, but on the whole I have never gone out to get a bird clipped.

In addition it can be challenging to have an untamed bird to have to get back to the cage when you let it out. (however not impossible with patience and work and food)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I think it depends on your home situation. In our case, it is just my husband and I so we have all our birds flighted. We do not bring them outside, that is a sacrifice they have to make to stay flighted, but their wings bring them so much joy I couldn't bare to clip them. Phoenix will sit in front of a mirror, flapping his wings and just staring at them. He really loves his glorious wings! They would like to fly much more than trips outside, so that is what we choose.

We have a system down where he calls me before opening the door, and vice versa, and that door never gets opened without making sure no birds are out and about. We have magic mesh on all doors as well, and birds only fly loose in the bedrooms, not the main part of the house where doors lead outside.

I think if you have kids, or a busy house, that this might not work as safely, but it works well for us.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I agree that it depends on the safety of your bird and your situation. Bella came to me with a severe clip. I did let it grow out but when she flew, she flew straight into the mirror so she is clipped. Then I had her clipped again because I was having a Halloween party with 70 people and I wanted to be safe. She can still fly a bit but when she banged into the mirror, it was a little too much for me.

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
My lovebird Gabby has his wings clipped, and somehow he can still fly around my room. Kiwi, his wing's aren't clipped but he can't fly. I haven't let him had the chance to fly, he just crashed a lot. Glad to hear what other people say about this :dance4:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Even with a busy household it's still workable to leave them unclipped. As Chantilly Lace mentioned, if solid systems are in place you can maintain their safety while out.

As you can see from my siggie, there's a lot of activity going on all the time at our place. Never a dull moment! ;)

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
I bought a heater for my room (cause my window frame thinggy is kinda busted, so it gets cold really fast.) I plan to leave my birdies in the cage while I'm not home and the heater will go on if the temp gets too low (Under 65/70 degrees.) But just because I don't want them to go burn themselves