• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Horney or Hurting?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Trying to make this brief- I know it is in bad form to not introduce myself before posting:
I recently obtained what was said to be a ‘breeding’ pair of peach faced lovebirds (supposedly breeders and 2yrs old)- Opaline green and opaline white faced turquoise. I fell in love with their demeanor toward each other and beauty. They are bonded, and extremely entertaining, feeling the pelvis area slightly, I noticed that it felt a little different, but I did not want to traumatize them more than I had to before bringing them into their new home.

I placed them in a cage in my sun room with a huge nest box, and ample material for nest building (shredded paper, palms, corn husks, coconut fiber, etc) and have left them for the last 48 hours- only coming to change water/egg food/veggies/fruit. They technical have ‘shade’ but pretty decent indirect sun exposure- about 83 degrees during the day inside the cage and 75 at night with 67% humidity with gentle airflow.

I see however the female is spending most of her time in the nest box popping in and out- twisting around, and he stands guard outside. As if he is protecting her inside the box. She spends about 45 hour in the box-I can see her head one second, and her tail feathers the other, and 20 minutes outside- repeatedly. I assume she is building a nest?
(never bred this species of bird before)

But I notice she is sitting almost horizontal on a perch- Not puffed- but leaning forward. Male is straight up, and extremely vocal this morning- now quiet.

Is this a breeding behavior often seen? The male ‘guarding’ the nest mean eggs are inevitable/on their way? Or alternately should I be worried that they are not acclimating properly or there is a medical condition?
I am a worry wart- probly jumping the gun.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well,a vet check is always recommended, especially prior to breeding.

But it sounds like they are nesting. Nesting doesn't always mean eggs and babies are on the way. But it can mean it's the step in that direction.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes, in many species the male will guard the nest by sitting close to the box.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the responses guys- good to know someone is out there.....
- I plan on a vet check- but i usually wait 5-7 days due to the small size.... I worry about trauma.
What about her 'leaning' behavior. She seems to do it whenever she is out of the nest. On the perch but horizontal instead of vertical.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
As of this morning- the female has been inside the box (at least 4 straight hours). The male in sitting in the entrance of the nesting box facing out.
Should I open the nesting box to check if she is ok? she wouldnt be hurt or sick inside and he is watching over her body?

I expecting to see more nest building behavior (tucking material into feathers, etc) and expected it to take a couple months before they would be prepared to breed.. But maybe she was fine with my 'nest building' skills (I place material and batted it down like I did for my finches and conures in the past). I guess Im looking for validation before I invade their privacy. :unsure1: