• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which cage is best?

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
so I'm looking at these three bird cages and was hoping if someone had one I could see photos and get your opinions.

YML open top parrot cage

YML dome top parrot cage

HQ's opening Victorian cage

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sizes or links to actual cage would be helpful. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than an HQ flight cage.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
for what bird that makes a difference

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
in my opinion a dome top is better then an open top as there is a risk that it could close on your bird :hug8:

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
:hug8: :hug8: It is for a dusky conure. I really prefer a nice playtop cage but I cannot find one with 1/2 bar spacing instead of 3/4 or 5/8.
If anyone knows where I could find one it would be much appreciated!

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Here are the sizes
HQ's is 22x17x55

I would like to stay close to that at least in depth. The other two cages were knocked off of my list because my breeder said nothing more than 1/2 bar spacing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
The other cage I was looking at is 22x17x28 would that be better? I am hoping that he will not be in his cage very often, I work the extreme morning shift and I am home before 2 so he will be out with me from 2 to bed time.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I personally wouldn't get any of the cages you posted here as I think they are all too small. I have a green cheek conure, a lov bird, 2 American keets, & 2 young tiels - currently I have 3 flight cages! 1 for my green cheek, 1 for my love bird & 1 for the baby tiels. My keets are in a 20x20x34 dome top currently but I plan on getting them their own flight cage as well as splitting up the baby tiels when they are a bit older so they will each have their own flight cage too. They all use every bit of space inside and out of the flight cage.

This is the HQ flight cages (currently 3) I have:
HQ Aviary Flight Cage with Stand - Flight Bird Cage and Bird Flight Cage from petco.com

I use to have a dusky conure as well and this is what Ricki had too! They are too active to have anything smaller....consider that you still need to add toys , perches and everything else inside which takes up room not leaving a whole lot of room for free movement.....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Loro Flight is 34 X 24 X 72 (total height) 36 (interior height). My dusky has several perches, a DJ Feathers birdy bed, a Polly's arch swing and several hanging toys. IMHO, it's a spacious cage to which I could add additional perches and toys and it would still be roomy enough for him.

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I might be able to make the HQ flight cage work. The lori flight cage is amazing but it is far too big for my space.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I might be able to make the HQ flight cage work. The lori flight cage is amazing but it is far too big for my space.
Loro flight cage isn't a lot bigger than the HQ flight cage... HQ is 31x21, I believe. And it doesn't have swing-out feeder doors. You'll find with conures, which tend to be cage aggressive, feeder doors are essential for the well-being of your fingers :hehe:

I think the options you're considering are way too small. Conures are very active little buggers. My painted conure (the smallest type of conure) is currently in a 24x22", and she's way too active for such a small space. Duskies, being quite a bit larger, would need more space, not less, I imagine. And I disagree with the breeder about the bar spacing. A dusky conure is about sun conure size, so bigger than a green cheek. Green cheeks do fine in 5/8" (even my painted, which as I said, is the smallest type of conure, is fine with 5/8" bar spacing). 5/8" would not be a problem for a dusky.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the fact that the Loro has 3 swing out feeder doors, although that still doesn't stop Jaden from being right there when I try to remove his food and water dishes. :D I debated buying it but I got it at a great price.....I think it was about $212 and I had a 20% off coupon. The HQ is priced less and right now Petco has a 20% off promotion. Also if you buy it from them and don't like it, I think you can just return it to the local store. I did have some quality issues with the Loro but was able to fix the problems on my own.

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I do really like the loro and its not much bigger than the HQ but I cant do the 24 depth. I can do 22 at the most in my space right now. I am finding it near impossible to find a flight cage with swing out doors which I absolutely want. My breeder said that anything bigger than 1/2 bar spacing risks the bird getting his head stuck in the bars and I don't want to take that risk so I am going to stick to his recommendation of 1/2 bar spacing which makes it double hard to find a good flight cage. :(