• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buln Buln (Mallee Parrot)

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Has anyone owned one of these? I have my parrot choice whittled down to one of these or a Peach Fronted Conure. They are beautiful colours but I can't find much information on having one as a pet.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump :D

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
Hey. I don't know a lot of information on the Mallee/Australian Ringneck as pets but I know they don't make the best hand raised parrots unless an extremely intense amount of time is put in to hand raising but that is no guarantee.
Not a lot of avaires breed them in Australia.

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Awesome, thanks Chels, I need to know these particulars about them to help me make my decision.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
You're welcome :)

What other species are you looking at? Other than the Peach Front Conure? Have you considered an Eclectus?

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have considered an Eclectus, but way too expensive here at $2,000 to $3,000!! I want something smaller for my first bird. Plus with me being so old an Eclectus would outlive me and that's not fair to the bird. Really only looking at what my breeders have going at the moment or in the near future, they are just a short distance away from me, friendly and knowledgeable and they will let me be part of the hand rearing process so I don't want to look elsewhere or in a pet shop.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Wow that is expensive! Funny thing is, Peach Fronted Conures are really expensive here and extremely rare.

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Interesting indeed. Lots of Conures here with a price range from $150.00 to $650.00. What I'm surprised at is the Kakariki, which is supposedly a New Zealand Parakeet, I have seen several videos on You Tube and they are mentioned alot as a pet bird...I'd never heard of them, seen one nor are they a captive bird species here in NZ and they probably sell for several hundreds of $$$ in other parts of the world. The Galah's which flies free in Australia sell for $750.00 to $1,000.00+ here. Sulphur Crested Cockatoos sell in the $thousands$ here. Rehoming birds from bird rescue are usually Cockatiels, Budgies, Lorikeets and Indian Ringnecks.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I'm a Kakariki owner and sometimes breeder. Such awesome parrots hehe.

Steve Weir

Meeting neighbors
G'day

I had a Kakariki once but I had to get rid of him. Mainly because he was so smart he watched me unlocking the aviary and worked out how to unlock it himself. Luckinly I had a bird lock otherwise I would have lost a lot of birds lol

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I have kept red fronted kakarikis since I was very young and have bred them successfully. I now also keep the yellow fronted. They're amazing birds but require a lot of space. They're very high energy!

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Here in New Zealand we have to have a permit to own a Kakariki.

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Not too sure if they are endangered here but they certainly aren't prolific. Most New Zealanders don't even know they exist.