• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mr Peepers Just Shocked me!

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I bought this lovely little agate canary about 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed he had some serious medical problems. First off his feet looked shingled or scaly like they had extra layers of armor growing on them this is what is either referred to as calcium feet which is all caused by mites so I knew it was a trip to the vets to deal with this.

The bigger problem was when I held him in my hands when giving him the vaseline treatment to his feet and legs I heard a distinct "clicking" sound from inside him... yikes he has damn air sac mites. This little guy is one year old "HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?" :scared2:

A little over $480 has been spent giving him ivermectin treatments from a local avian who thinks Mr Peepers is a little under weight so I still have that to worry about.

I've been giving him a rich assortment of canary and the finch seeds as well as fresh food that he just sucks up like a hoover he loves hard boiled eggs broccoli carrot and a great assortment of fresh sprouts and other veg and fruit so I give him all he can handle.

Since he's been here all he's done is make a single solitary "PEEP" when he sees me... if I leave the room he calls really loud with that single peep to me. I think this single peep is pretty darn cute.

My big surprise happened about 10 mins ago as Mr Peepers trilled about 4 notes in a row. HE TRILLED! :bliss: His first trill! :excited1:

He's trying to sing! I can only hope now that he's on the road to a healthy life.. I don't mind if he remains singing that single "Peep" but honestly I'd love him to trill his butt off and show me he's really healthy and happy.

Sorry for the long post but I am just really happy for the little guy. :laugh-bounce:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Awwww that's awesome! I love our canary. Glad he's coming around.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's fantastic progress! Keep it up, little guy! :cheer: :choir:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue