• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovies Feet?

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I have no idea what is going on really, I can only guess.
Though with how many times he repeats the behavior I wonder if he has some discomfort or it's obsessive? Does he pluck? It being obsessive/discomfort related would make since if he also messes with his feathers.

Has he been seen by an avian veterinarian since you've had him?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are the feeties dry or the talons need trimmed?

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
yes he is a plucker, and vets gave him clean bill of health. the talons are a lil long but dont get stuck or curl over. feet are dry but not sure what qualifies as overly dry or how to fix it

only seems to happen when sitting still just like the over preening and plucking, posibly boredom? cant get the lil bugger to forage at all

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Hmmm... if he may be bored, what sort of toys does he have?
My lovebird is really picky and doesn't really like most anything I can get at a pet store locally. She basically only likes soft woods (balsa, yucca, cork) and crunchy but easy to destroy things (palm, seagrass, loofa, paper.)
Most toys in the store seem to be pine or harder wood, which apparently isn't any fun for her to destroy so she mostly ignores it.
I end up having to buy parts online and assemble bird toys myself but if Peanut is happy so am I.

I was able to get my lovebird to forage more by hiding her favorite treats (millet, nutri berries) in the same thing every time; a simple paper wrapper. While she'd shred the bag, food would appear and eventually she figured out paper wrapper = millet treat.
So I'd start by "hiding" these in plain sight in her cage, like, the middle of a platform between the bars somewhere she spends a decent amount of time. Once she figured that out, hiding them slightly better (like hanging on her toys in spots I've made, like stuffed in a hole in a loofa but still easily visible.) Now I can hide some of them completely and she'll still find them.
Though, uh, maybe Kyan is smarter than Peanut but if she can't see her treat she just kinda violently shakes and attacks a toy in the hope food will fall out of it. :lol:
I'm not sure if that's how foraging works but whatever, she's busy.

Once she figured that out I decided to be a stingy jerk and only put seed in a few of them, the rest have healthier things now. It keeps her looking for the "high value" ones and keeps her busy longer.
It was a slow process though, several months.

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
lol! too cute. i have a post in the lovebird area. it shows current cage set up. he loves the shredders stuff.. and has started abusing his toys more regularly.