• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Diet Ratio

CalFos999

Sitting on the front steps
Hey Everyone,

I have recently adopted a light blue Indian Ringneck. I work at the local vet for a few hours every week and about two weeks ago someone brought this bird in. Being mainly cat and dog people I was the only one in the vet able to ID the bird. I mentioned that I'd happily take it if no one claimed him and after a week at the vet I brought it home.

I've set up a lovely big cage for it (I hate saying 'it' but I haven't sexed him/her yet) and I've done plenty of research on diet. The only thing I'm not sure about is the ratio of nuts/fruit/veg. I've had it maybe a week so far and everyday I've given him/her a couple of slices of Apple and oranges, a cherry tomatoes or two, as well a whole peanut, a quarter of a walnut and a couple of sultanas. I also provide seed, a pinch these fruity type pellets and a sorrel leaf. I'm just unsure of wether that's too much fruit and if so what other veggies are readily consumed by most IRNs.

Thanks in advance,
Any replies appreciated :)

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

I do not have an IRN but I believe more veggies than fruit is generally recommended for most birds. Squash, kale, red bell pepper, chard, broccoli, sprouts, carrots, pomegranate, beans, etc. Most feed their bird a bit of pellet -Harrisons, TOPS, and Roudybush are very popular. Someone with expertise in IRN fiet will come along.

Wonderful of you to take a bird in....they are wonderful companions.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My IRN loves his fruit and veggies,, apples, carrots, broccoli, banana, grapes, cantaloupe, celery, oranges, lemons, spinach, sweet tators, watermelon, as well as pistachios, scramble eggs, cockatiel seed, pine nuts
He gets a small dinner plate of all the fresh foods twice a day and free reign of the teil seed. I limit the pistachios to 4 or 5 a day, and the pine nuts to 7 or 8 a day, he loves mash tators and birdie bread too.
Hope this helps!

CalFos999

Thanks, both of you, I was only feeding her fruit that was around the house. I tried carrot but it was only nibbled at. I might go to the green grocers after school and get a few different veggies and try out work out any favourites.

Yeah I'm glad I got a rescue bird, I'm certainly very lucky she is so tame. She is very good around people although she doesn't really like being touched.

The weird thing about her is that her wings where trimmed right back, the poor thing can't even stop herself from falling. I honestly don't know how she escaped. The wings were really hacked at so maybe she was dumped? Doesn't really make sense though, she's such a nice bird.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
You want the veggie to fruit ratio at around 70% vege 30% fruit as well as good quality pellets and about a teaspoon of seed per day. As for nuts 1 almond or walnut per day is plenty for an IRN (peanuts are generally not recommended, tree nuts are a healthier choice)
IRNs are generally very good eaters especially when it comes to fresh foods. Favourites here are corn, carrot, zucchini, red capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens (kale, bok choy, tat soi, spinach, endive etc...) sprouts (mung bean, lentil), cooked sweet potato and pumpkin, pomegranates, grapes, apple, peas, cooked chick peas.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Offer veggies each day even if your IRN ignores or barely touches.....eventually it may eat more varieties, etc.

I offered veggies for over a year.l before my bird would eat them. It felt like I was wasting but now that is the first thing he eats.

Also just in case I would advertise (newspaper, CL, parrot alert) for at least 3-6 months that you have a found IRN as you never know the owner may be looking. It is devastating to lose a bird and it is surprising that they can get away

CalFos999

Yeah, all the vets in the area have a database of lost pets. So if anyone calls a vet anywhere near she was found they can find put where she is.

CalFos999

So I can just give her raw broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, capsicum, zucchini, peas etc?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You want the veggie to fruit ratio at around 70% vege 30% fruit as well as good quality pellets and about a teaspoon of seed per day. As for nuts 1 almond or walnut per day is plenty for an IRN (peanuts are generally not recommended, tree nuts are a healthier choice)
IRNs are generally very good eaters especially when it comes to fresh foods. Favourites here are corn, carrot, zucchini, red capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens (kale, bok choy, tat soi, spinach, endive etc...) sprouts (mung bean, lentil), cooked sweet potato and pumpkin, pomegranates, grapes, apple, peas, cooked chick peas.
Well put. 70-30 is what we use with Titan. Fresh is best,always. He also loves his almonds, but is limited to one a day- he would eat 5 or 6 if we let him...

CalFos999

Ok, thanks everyone. I've started feeding her on tip of her cage under newspaper so she doesn't make as much mess. I feed her veggies in the morning and fruit in the afternoon so she doesn't just eat the fruit! I'm going veggie shopping for her this afternoon so she's going to have a really colourful breakfast tomorrow!

Btw she has this really annoying habit of pulling her water dish off the cage and throwing on the floor. The cleaning up doesn't really bother me it's just that if she does it in the morning and it's hot I can't change it until I get back from school. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
My girl loves that water dish game too. She now has only screw on holders for her stainless steel dishes. She can't undo them from in the cage. :)
If you are using this style of dish
BirdLife Stainless Steel Coop Cup 600ml
a clothes peg on the bottom of the holder can hold them in place for a while until the bird chews it to pieces. It takes my girl some time to remove the peg.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I have been trying to figure this out as well, just having gotten a baby boy myself. What I have found is that most breeders recommend a diet of mostly veggies. Then a few of their favorite fruits and some pellets mixed in with a small amount of seed. Kiwi is addicted to a bad diet and I have been mostly unable to transfer him to a pellet diet. What I give him is this: mostly seeds with some (as much as he accepts) pellets. He will eat about 3/4 seeds and 1/4 pellets which we are still working on fixing. Then I give him LOTS of veggies! Mostly greens but some other bright colors as well. After that I give him a little bit of the fruit that I am eating (as long as its healthy.) Then he gets cut up nuts and dried fruits during training time. Luckily he isnt that picky except with pellets.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have been trying to figure this out as well, just having gotten a baby boy myself. What I have found is that most breeders recommend a diet of mostly veggies. Then a few of their favorite fruits and some pellets mixed in with a small amount of seed. Kiwi is addicted to a bad diet and I have been mostly unable to transfer him to a pellet diet. What I give him is this: mostly seeds with some (as much as he accepts) pellets. He will eat about 3/4 seeds and 1/4 pellets which we are still working on fixing. Then I give him LOTS of veggies! Mostly greens but some other bright colors as well. After that I give him a little bit of the fruit that I am eating (as long as its healthy.) Then he gets cut up nuts and dried fruits during training time. Luckily he isnt that picky except with pellets.
We heard the same thing from Titan's breeder-23 years ago. At the beginning, all he ate was veggies and seed. When we moved from all seed to pellets for our birds, Titan was the slowest to embrace the situation- he took almost a year to totally accept pellets. He still gets about a teaspoon of seeds with his pellets.
I'll bet that Kiwi will follow Titan in his eating habits- it's going to take time, because as we know, IRNs can be a "little" headstong...sometimes... :rolleyes:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Awww yes headstrong. VERY headstrong! I am just waiting for the day he understands that the alien in his bowl is to nourish him and not attack him. He is very nervous of new things. He is now embracing the concept of landing on the chair next to me in order to get love and praise. :heart:

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I must be very lucky, Joey will eat ANYTHING. She does have favorites. Veggies: Peas, corn, broccoli, green beans, peppers (be careful with the hot ones! they can leave you -not the bird- with a nasty burn!), carrots (LOVES carrots), sweet potato, leafy greens, seed sprouts, squashes, artichoke... she'll eat any food item that comes near her. Fruit: Bananas! Apple, blueberries are a favorite, berries (raspberries, blackberries..oh, so messy!!) mango (a fave), papaya, pineapple, any citrus, grapes, pomegranates...

I always let Joey have pellets in her cage. She really likes Roudybush right now. Seeds are given as a treat. I like to use the nuts and seeds for her foraging toys. It is amazing what she will do to get a piece of almond! She also loves pepitas (unsalted of course). I also give her a small amount of hemp seed, which she really enjoys. I give her more veggies than fruit and try to control the portions, since she'll sit and eat it until it is gone.

Oh yes... and I'm sure we would all love to see more pictures of these new ringneck babies!!! :heart: :D

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
you are lucky that joey eats all that good food! i have a hard time tying to get my quaker parrot to eat carrots and some other veggies. she loves sweet potato and will eat, sweet bell peppers, squash, peas, corn. she will eat more types of fruit then veggies :rolleyes:

she is loving the new pellets i got her there by goldenfeast they seem really healthy type of pellet.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Tried Carrots and lettuce last night... Fail! Am I the only owner who has a bird that wants to eat the napkin and just chucks all of the food onto the floor? Usually he is so good about food and he seemed interested in the carrots for like 5 seconds. I guess he's more into fruit.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this, but have you tried eating the food in front of him. Letting him know that it is safe? Occasionally I still do this for Sam and Joey. They look at me like, "okay, she didn't die, it must be safe." then they try it. :laugh: