• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opal lay on back.

Ameer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amir
Hi guys. .how do i teach opal to lie on his back in my hands..if I hold and flip him, he tries to bite or hold my finger with his beak to become straight again...
Oh ya..opal is a opaline lovebird..very young though.

Ameer.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
While he is perched and relaxed on your finger or hand, put your other hand over his back and gently hold him while tipping him backwards. If he wants to hold onto your other hand with his feet or his beak, let him do so. While he is on his back say something in a happy voice; I tell Sunny "backwards bird!" Then count slow to three (you have not let of him at all) and bring him back upright and perched on your hand. I then say to Sunny "flip! Upwards bird!" Do it every day and eventually you will be able to lay him backwards on your other hand's pal and open your hand and he will stay there until you say "flip" and he rights himself. Sunny still does the trick after fourteen years.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
In my opinion, never force him to. It's very unnatural for most birds to lay on their backs so it's best taught through trust. :)

What I did with Peanut when I wanted to teach her:
If he likes cuddling, wait until he's calm and you are holding him while he's cuddly. Keep one hand under his feet and place the other on his back (if he doesn't like a hand on his back either teaching him that's okay and a good thing would be step one, meaning he needs to trust you more.)
Gently and slowly roll him towards his back but don't grab or force him. Also rolling him to a side may be less threatening to him if he doesn't like being put on his back at first.

If he wants to leave, let him. Pay attention to how comfortable he is with what is going on and try to stop before he's uncomfortable and wants to leave, then stop and reward him when he does good!
Even for a bird that doesn't like to be on their back eventually he should let you roll him further and further until he'll eventually lay in your hand with his feet in the air while you praise or cuddle him.

Some birds are more prone to laying on their backs for cuddles and play than others. Peanut does not really like to be on her back at any time but will remain relaxed and keep cuddling if I gently flip her this way.

Ameer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amir
Cool..I will keep all this in mind and will take it slowly..thanks for you advises!

Ameer.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Think, baby steps.

Opal on his back is the end goal! For now, you might want to get Opal comfortable with your hand resting on his back. Nothing more. Once he's ok with that, tip him back just a *wee* bit! A very tiny amount. Reward reward reward. Once he's ok with that, then you can go a wee bit further.

If you can, try to break it down into at least 10 steps! And make sure that Opal is comfortable at each step!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I agree to never force a behavior. Sunny trusts me to the hilt and she never gets upset with me handling her or putting her on her back. When I first started doing it, she looked at me like, "Gee, humans are wierd". But eventually I taught her to lay on her back in my open palm until I tell her to "flip". She actually laughs during the trick.