• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Road to Paradise

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That looks like a place I lived in Wisconsin. So peaceful, I can hear the quiet.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
close, it is in northern minnesota :)

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Awe!!! I feel peaceful just looking at it!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful and oh so peaceful.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a beautiful forest! Your photographs are always amazing!

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's so beautiful and peaceful with the sun coming through! Awesome shot!

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:cloud9: how relaxing....it reminds me of when I lived in Ohio....all those warm colors...its beautiful>

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That is so pretty! Makes me want to relax outside on a front porch, in a rocking chair or swing, wrapped in a blanket drinking coffee or coacoa. :xflove:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Fall is a beautiful time of year, lovely picture! But is it in fact quiet? Or can you hear the echoing calls of birds and other unseen creatures that gives forests an air of mystery? Something I've always found enchanting on walks.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Fall is a beautiful time of year, lovely picture! But is it in fact quiet? Or can you hear the echoing calls of birds and other unseen creatures that gives forests an air of mystery? Something I've always found enchanting on walks.

My favorite part up our cabin is that it is very isolated and for the most part the only sounds you hear are the sounds of nature around you. Very few human noises.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Thanks. I wasn't referring to human noises but the sounds of birds, etc. This is why I asked....

Just this past Tues. I was walking through a nature preserve in Sarasota called Red Bug Slough. It’s part of a network called the Great Florida Birding/Wildlife Trail. Beautiful place, not large, that has some old growth sections of forest. Being new to FL I found it quite interesting. Living in NY until recently, my extended visits into nature were not local. Either too busy with work or responsibilities there, I traveled to get my nature fix - so I’d have no schedules, no things to get done, just relax and soak it in. It was also about chasing parrots, of course. I’d end up spending up to a week in various rainforests in Peru or Costa Rica. And shorter trips as well.

Red Bug Slough was a very prehistoric looking forest (to me at least), a combination of ferns and low palms and other shrubs beneath a canopy created by tall oak, pine, as well as palm trees. I enjoyed being there, considering it very Jurassic Park-ish. Throughout my walk I had a subconscious sense that something was off though. I didn’t really try to put my finger on it, I figured it just reminded me too much of places I love that I miss. The great guides I had gotten to know and with whom I shared a mutual enthusiasm. But then it came to me. It was the silence. I was accustomed to places that look like that being alive with all kinds of creatures communicating with each other in strange languages. The sounds of the Montezuma’s Oropendolas for example. The sounds that literally “make” the jungle. Not noise, not intruding on ones thoughts, but giving the forest an ethereal quality. It’s a feeling that one is a visitor in a world of aliens going about their own business. That’s the best way I can describe it. I don’t know whether it’s that animals in rainforests simply evolved to be more vocal, competing with each other more so than creatures in Northern forests (where the noises seem more subtle). Considering that your picture is of a pretty vast forest I wondered if it was in fact quiet (as someone posted above) or noisy with life.

When I clicked on the pic it led to your other photos, some that you've posted here. They are amazing.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
It can be very quiet there especially as we get closer to winter and so many birds have migrated south. It can also sound very "jungly" with the resident Piliated wood peckers screaming their calls year round. Spring through fall there is the ever present symphony of different types of frog sounds day and night as we are surrounded by lots of ponds and swampy areas. I have spent some time in Costa Rica and no it is not the quite the same sounds as the jungle but it can get very noisy with the variety of birds during the spring and summer chattering away. We have a lot of very noisy blue jays and chickadees right now

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
WOW!!! :)