• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Advice

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I've done the "bird whispering" treatment to train a bird before.. its not a well thought of training by a lot of bird owners but then there are some who swear by this. The thing is you need to do this training 4 - 8 times a day for 10 minutes or more at time so if you can't commit to that time that often then its not going to work for you.

Right now while you grab your budgie you are upsetting her and freaking her out so she's not going to trust you if you keep doing this.. its only going to slow down or stop any type of training you are trying to do.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
To put it into a bit of perspective, if a grizzly bear captured you and held onto you until you calmed down, would you enjoy the experience? The bear is much larger than you and could easily kill you and eat you! Would you be comfortable with that?

Although I used to train that way, I no longer do. I did it that way because that's the only way I knew how, and that's how everyone recommended on training your bird. You force the bird to sit with you until it stops biting and flying away.

I prefer making each interaction with a bird as positive as possible (when not an emergency) during the taming process. I had at one point in time 5 adult, flighted budgies. None of them tame. One day I decided to start feeding them by hand. It was first thing in the morning before I refreshed their food dishes, I put some of their regular food into my hands and offered my hand inside the cage. Some birds were more hesitant than others, but they all eventually started eating from my hands! (monkey see, monkey do!) I would do this once a day for 5-15 minutes (however long it took them to gobble it all up!). I didn't interact with them in any other way! Just that one small thing once a day.

A month later, I had them flying out of their cage and to my hand to eat!

This technique also worked with 5 adult cockatiels, varying from skittish and wanted nothing to do with humans to previous tamed pets. All but one were flighted. Cockatiels that were previously shy and hesitant became comfortable and confident around humans! Including the tiel that was terrified of being around humans became confident enough that he'd fly to me and patiently wait to be held.

I no longer believe that force is required in order to tame a bird, nor do I believe it should be used when we have come so far in learning about behavior and how we can influence a bird to accept handling even if they are never truly tame!

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
Yeah, I was worried it would lead to her becoming frightened of my hands. Now that I have a better cage, I should be able to do more interacting. She doesn't like to eat in the morning, though, so I'm not sure if that tactic will work. Maybe I should feed in meals? Someone recommended that, since she's a pudgie budgie anyways.

I know that I need to get her a companion, and my mom basically said that if I can find a tame male and do plan on keeping budgies, then I can get her a companion. Even fully tame, I don't think I'd ever make her happy, and that's a problem. It just breaks my heart to see her fly to the corner closest towards where the other two budgies are and singing to them because she misses their company (even though Clint nearly killed her!). So we're going to the pet store today (only place I can get even semi-tame budgies around here) and I'll see if they have any tame males in. All of their budgies are about 2-3 months old, so about half Starry's age, but it makes taming down easier, at any rate.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I found it quite easy working with my adult (as in 2-8 years old) budgies.

Is it a regular chain pet shop? Or is it like a privately owned shop? What about bird stores in your area that might sell hand raised budgies?

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
Okay, big update on this!

So very small birds and I aren't super compatible (because they can't travel with me or be around our house safely due to cats). I took Starry in because I've a lot of experience with helping injured animals (she was injured in a fight), so that is how she ended up in my care. Well, after realizing I just don't have the time to spend with her at home and she can't travel with me due to her delicate body, and that my mom won't allow another budgie now, I looked into finding her a better home. And I think we've found the perfect home for her. There's a family who has a cockatiel male who just lost his mate and is needing a new companion. Starry should be willing to bond with him (she tried to befriend my sister's conure until he told her off), and the owners have experience taming birds. They're a great family for her.

We made progress by feeding her mainly pellets and veggies, then offering millet as a treat. She's improved a lot, but she'll do better when she has people that can spend more time taming her.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice! Your guys are great! I'm happy to know Starry will be going to a home where she'll have bird friends and the attention she deserves.