• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Twisted Feathers

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
Hi all! Long time, no post. For any of you who remember, Leonidus is doing great, except he just got his right wing feathers all twisted up. He's never done this before, and I don't know how he managed it, but the blue and black are now facing opposite directions than usual. He won't let us help him get them right. He won't spread his wing. He's just sitting there with his cock-eyed feathers pointing toward the ceiling and bites at them every so often. He's acting normally otherwise. Has anyone ever had this happen to their Ekkie or other bird? What should I do? I'm thinking he will figure it out and fix them himself. Or am I being too hopeful?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Did he fly too close to something? Roma has managed to get 1 or 2 twisted, but always manages to correct them himself or just shake them straight after a bit.

fid fanatic

Real Name
Cheri
Nope. I don't know what he did, but he didn't fly because he was in his cage. He has about 5 or 6 of them flipped upside down.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
May have gotten them twisted brushing against the side of the cage or something. Give it a bit and he may fix it himself.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Curious if everything straightened itself out?

fid fanatic

Real Name
Cheri
He was not able to fix them himself, so we took him to the vet. They had to anesthetize him and were able to get them back into place without xrays or surgery. :choir: He managed to get 7 of his flight feathers tucked down into his wing (entering from the top) and then up underneath the bottom and back through the top. They were wrapped and twisted - no idea how he did that. The vet at the CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital said they'd never seen a bird do that before, and they think he has an abnormality in his 'wrist' bone that allowed him to twist into that position. He was immediately happy when he woke up and found his wing to be normal again. Sweet boy. :ekkiem:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
sounds uncomfortable. glad they got straightened out!