• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who Uses Avian Sun Bulbs For Their Grey?

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
I have an african grey that probably hasnt had natural sunlight in 10-15 years. I purchased and Avian Sun Full Spectrum Bulb for him so he can get some rays and in turn vitamin D. Question I have for people that use these bulbs, how long to you leave them on and do you use more than one? I wouldnt mind putting 2 on the cage since its a bigger cage and it would look better but I dont want to give him to much. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's not exactly any proof that they help birds absorb vitamin D.

Little Feathered Buddies Health & Nutrition
Birds and Lighting General Index

The Zoo Med bulb is just a relabeled reptile bulb and if used incorrectly during the burn in period can cause eye and skin irritation, even blindness.

I'm not saying to not use full spectrum lighting, just saying that it might not be beneficial in the way that it's advertised for. I do have an FS lightbulb, and if it ever did provide any benefits, they are probably long gone now! Considering the fact that I've had the bulb for up to 7 years now and it's currently used to light up a rather dark room! Works great that way! :laugh:

How long to use one for though is a bit controversial. Some say for as little as 30 mins to 2 hours a day, others say for the entire day. (i.e. 12 hrs, give or take) Parrots out in the wild aren't always in the sun, but the UV rays do bounce around within the environment, even under shade! It's not always cloudless so they wouldn't be receiving constant rays from the sun all the time! Nor would they be under direct sunlight all the time!