• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(**Sad Update**) SICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Get her to VET ASAP

mindee77

Strolling the yard
I just know something is really wrong. I am so FRUSTRATED that nothing is helping her. I am trying the hot mist from the shower waiting for the vet to call back...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well if its a shell-less egg, formed or unformed, she possibly need invasive(its quick) treatment to get it out.

@saroj12 is an expert on this. She deals with it all the time with her cockatiel. I only have 1 experience to go by and it ended badly (Koo died during recovery of anesthesia).

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just called the vet waiting for him to call back..
If they are open, I would let them know that you are on your way in and not wait for a call back.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
Talked to the vet. He still thinks it's her ovarian cysts and it takes around two weeks for her hormone level to come down he told me we may end up giving her another shot before it will come down. He wants me to watch her and if she stops eating and drinking than come in the emergency part. He will call me in the morning. I am grateful that I found all of you. I feel deep down that something else is wrong and I pray that I don't lose my little girl.. HAS anyone gone through something similar??

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have and Saroj. And another person I know off who is no longer on this forum.

If your bird is acting like she is having problems breathing, its best to just take her in. But even sick birds still eat and drink.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
I am calling a few other vet hospitals. I will let everyone know what happens. Again thanks for all the support.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Believe me, we are rooting for you and your little girl. Many on AA have had emergencies and we can all only hope and pray that yours turns out well.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just read this. I hope your little girl gets better. My thoughts are with you. Hang in there little birdie!
:sadhug2:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I don't want to scare you... what I'm about to share is absolutely the worst-case scenario.

My first bird, Ruffles, had similar but not identical symptoms. Her difficulty breathing came on very slowly. She also had increasing difficulty with pooping.

At the time we lived in the middle of nowhere and the only vet in town didn't have much experience with birds. Also, my family didn't have much money so she didn't even get her to this dog/cat vet until way too late. We were sent home with antibiotics.

I was in the 8th grade and spent all my free time caring for her, making sure she got her medicine at the right times. It got to the point where she couldn't poop without being over warm humidifier air. Then she stopped being able to poop entirely. Within hours her breathing was so labored that my mom sat me down and explained that it was becoming cruel to try and keep her alive. We took her back to the vet and that became one of the saddest days of my life.

They did an autopsy and she had an ovarian tumor the size of a hard-boiled chicken egg yolk. I think the vet was trying to be comforting when he told me that I must have been taking incredibly good care of her because he had never heard of a tumor that size in a cockatiel. She was more then 10 years old at the time (another major difference!).

I hope with all my heart that your story has a different ending then mine. You're already very much on the better path. I understand how hard it is when a little one suffers... Our hugs to you and your family.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am calling a few other vet hospitals. I will let everyone know what happens. Again thanks for all the support.
How is she doing? Were you able to get her into the vet last night?

mindee77

Strolling the yard
My little one is still not doing any better. The vet we took her to last really thinks we need to give her more time to bring her hormone levels down but to me she is worse than last week when we took her in.. I want to trust the doctor and this is the second opinion so maybe I need a third opinion. I just know something is not right.. She is struggling to breath and poop. My husband is calling around to other vets. We are trying a heating pad also.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby, I agree she needs to be seen ASAP. If the second vet doesn't want to see her or look further into what is causing her distress you have no other choice but to see another vet. I wish you the best of luck, my thoughts are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.