• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice for an older parrot

Kimo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
Hello

I have inherited my grandmothers african grey. I grew up with sweetheart and when I moved back to PA my aunt (who has had her since my gram passed) wanted me to take her so she would have a better life.
My aunt had good intentions but was unimformed when it came to proper care (since I lived in another state I didnt know what exactly her conditions were)

She was on an all sunflower seed diet with human food treats, spent all day in her cage, and had few toys. This resulted in her feather plucking. When my gram had her she was out all the time and would freely come out for cuddles. Now she is cage bound and afraid of hands.

Since I have had her I give her chop and a little seed (much like i feed my eclectus) and her feather quality has inproved dramatically.

I have had her in my care for about a year now and was hoping to have been able to work with her to overcome the fear and no longer be cage bound. So far no luck. SHe hates sticks so i cant use a stick to get her to step up, she is afraid of hands, and hates being toweled. I dont want to stress her and am not sure what to try next.

Any advice on working with a hand shy cage bound 35 year old grey will be welcomed!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's very good of you to help this bird. :) I'm some of our African Grey owners will have some good advise for you. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Could you just leave the cage door open, so she can come and come when she chooses?

Kimo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
Ive tried just leaving it open and she acts like she wants to but wont

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm sure over time, once she is comfortable,she'll come out when she feels ready if you just leave the cage door open. It's what I did for my skittish birds. And of you put their food on the outside of the cage, it encourages them to explore.

Kimo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
thanks ill try putting the food outside of the cage

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I would leave the cage door open. Put a perch on the inside of the cage door and another next to the door so that she can sit on one of those and feel as though she can go back in if she gets nervous. Put a lock crock near perch and plop a few favorite treats in there to encourage her to come out. When she does come out, don't fuss and don't move towards her. If she gets more confident about coming out, provide a way for her to get to the floor. Once she's on the floor, I'm betting she'll let you pick her up. Once you pick her up, I would bring her to a play gym or something that has been in her line of vision for from her cage and ask "Do you want to sit here for a little while?" if she doesn't step down, or acts like she's afraid, bring her back to her cage and allow her to go back to where she feels safe.

I think with Greys, the important thing is to empower them by allowing them to make decisions. Forcing a fearful Grey is probably the worse thing you could do.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Read the posts that Katie did about Cowboy. It's just a slow road but I think it's possible to get back there to where the bird was.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
welcome to Avian Ave Aaron. i have cockatiels, that were fearful of being out of their cages too. with Tuffy it was slow and steady, using a food treat as reward if he came out. what is her most favorite food in the whole world? try using that as a treat. you may have to be very patience, but put that treat in a dish outside of her cage, every day. tell her 'this is for you if you want to come and see what is in the dish.' show her the dish with the treat too. be careful to if she is as fearful as you say, she may try to take a good nip too. Tuffy bite thru a pair heavy leather gloves several times.
:tiel2: and mom

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Look up Barbara Heidenreich info. I met her in person and one of my two amazons was scared of hands. She spent some time talking to me about the "step" process ..... sometimes you go back a step too but that's all okay. We have years ahead of us (Good Lord willing) - and it's all going to be worthwhile.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
ahh bless you for taking the Grey. You have received some great advise , the only thing I want to add is "TRUST" she doesn't trust you yet, and thats ok it going to take time. Sit and chatter quietly with her, praise her and try feeding her a favorite treat while you are sitting there. You are trying to break a life time habit, thats going to take awhile. I wish you the best and please keep us update.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch came out of his new cage once the first six months we had him. I just left the door open and did what I normally did while he watched and occasionally allowed scritches through the bars, or bites, his option :eek:
After a while he started going on top, then going onto a chair I'd place close to my favorite recliner, then onto my recliner, then beside me on the arm and on from there. It's been 5 years now and he pretty much has decided were safe and he cares for us, plus I'm his chosen one. Right now he's sitting on my shoulder while I type happily preening and he flies to his favorite spots and gets excited when he knows we're home so he can come out and hang out with the flock.
Of course he can still be grumpy and nippy but his moods are easy to read as long as you can see him. He just gently popped my neck, probably because he wants attention and I'm typing.
But as already said leave the door open and he'll get comfy and curious with time and start coming out when he wants too so give him time and options.