• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The Tale of the Levitating Pumpkin!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I used a cookie cutter to make handprint-shaped holes in the sides of a small organic pumpkin. I also cut some extra holes in the top of it and put a few treats (sunflower seeds) inside to inspire foraging. Then came time for introductions:

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.34.22 PM.png
Rhubarb was so excited she couldn't hold still enough for me to get a non-blurry picture.

That is, until I employed bribery:
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.40.02 PM.png
That's better!
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.43.46 PM.png

So with a happily contented little 'too we were set for the next phase. The hanging of the pumpkin in the cage... i.e. BY WHAT DARK MAGIC DOES THIS FRIGHTFUL SQUASH HANG SUSPENDED?!?!!!
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.45.09 PM.png
Keep in mind that she was right there *watching* me hang it up!

After a moment of squawking Rhubarb had an epiphany:
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.49.02 PM.png
"You look familiar... Are you by chance... edible?"
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.50.18 PM.png
"That's what I thought!!! You can't fool me!"
"Speaking of which, would you like me to help you get down? You seem stuck in the air."
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.52.38 PM.png

After half an hour of unsuccessful stem chewing: "If you can't beat 'em join 'em!"
Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 5.01.03 PM.png

She played with this pumpkin for three days (I'd take it out of her cage and put it in the fridge between playtimes and overnight.) Her face and beak turned orange and she invented all kinds of "games" including spin the pumpkin, attack the pumpkin, chew the pumpkin while hanging upside-down from the top of the cage, and throw pumpkin seeds EVERYWHERE. She loved it to death.

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.54.28 PM.png

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So cute!! :heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Looks like a lot of fun! Great idea!!

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Now that the pumpkin remains are in the compost, she's getting the cutouts for breakfast.
IMG_0040.JPG
p]]][o

Rhubarb typed that nonsense. She just ran over to get a better look at the computer screen. :)

:gal2:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Rhubarb is so beautiful and it looked like she had so much fun with her pumpkin! :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome story.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
She is beautiful and what a great idea. I "showed" a small pumpkin to my C2 and she flipped out. But I might try your idea with her favorite treat of pine nuts

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Very cute! I might have to try that with my guys. Kishka went crazy for an artichoke we skewered and for some brussels sprouts we hung...who knew veggies could be so fun!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Love the pics! And what a great idea! Now I have to go an look for a little pumpkin......... :)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
She is beautiful and what a great idea. I "showed" a small pumpkin to my C2 and she flipped out. But I might try your idea with her favorite treat of pine nuts
I forgot to mention that these pumpkins have been were she can see them for most of a week. The morning I carved up her pumpkin she was not far away and watched me get out the sunflower seed jar. So there was a lot of time for her to get used to the idea. Also, I set her down about 2 ft away on the counter and let her approach at her own pace. So I was very surprised by the upside-down screaming fit she had when I let it go and it started to turn all on it's own in the air. I suppose from her perspective it was nearly a supernatural experience. :hehe:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I curse my budgie when I see the white walls near his cage all dotted in red from him eating pomegranate... but then I laugh when I see his red stained beak and face and feathers and know he had a great time noming. :rofl:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
This made me smile! Can you give this to tiels as well?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
This made me smile! Can you give this to tiels as well?
I thinks so. Though you might want to try one of the smaller seasonal squashes/pumpkins. I grew up with cockatiels and it was a challenge to get them to forage... :( Perhaps you could try a variant on what I did. For example, get a mini decorative pumpkin, wash well with dish soap to remove any wax coating, cut a hole in the top and put some whole wheatgrass inside (think "instant potted plant") then sprinkle the grass with the pumpkin seeds. It's also possible to sprout on your own for your birds (Bird Seed Mixes - Just for Pets). In my experience, little beaks have an easier time with fresh grass sprouts then big chunky foods. Although an ambitious cockatiel shouldn't have much trouble with a pumpkin seed.