• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Sun Conure has no tail feathers, when will they grow?

James85

Meeting neighbors
Tashik The Tailless Terror - My Sun Conure, possibly a Janday (he's only 5 months old so hard to tell) has no tail feathers, they broke off / were bit off apparently when he was in a cage with other birds at the breeders and they'd play a little too excitedly. Anyway, when will they grow back? Will it not happen until his first 'molting' which ive read is around 12months old? Also, is there any special precautions that should be taken at this time?

Cheers

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
He should be fine. My sun broke all his tail feathers but one while caged by himself from playing too rough with his toys and not watching his tail. They have to learn how to protect their tail when moving around and it can take them a little while to figure out how to do this. Ending up with bent, broken, rough looking feathers is all normal for baby conure tails. If the feather was completely pulled out it will grow back faster but if they are broken it will most likely take to his first molt. His first molt should be soon (5-6 months or so is average). Loki, my sun, molted from 6 months till 12 months old he never stopped growing in new feathers. He is actually still getting new feathers all the time so he hasn't really stopped yet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As per your avatar, it looks like you have a young sun! If you know what to look for, it's easy to tell young suns and jendays apart! :)

Tori is correct! First molt can happen any time now, or in several months! They'll grow back, it's just a matter of your bird learning not to break his tail feathers!

QBird

Jogging around the block
Agree with the above, I've had one young bird that came with no tail and another which had 2 tail feathers both molted and grew tails :)

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
It takes 7-10 weeks for a feather to regrow onces it's been pulled/released.