• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What no Avian Vet ... In the Country !!!

QBird

Jogging around the block
Sorry I do not know where to post this but I feel like I am in the only country without and Avian vet.

The only one or two here must be employed by a major parrot breeding programme and the zoo :arghh:

Lets see of the vets int he country I know that one transports parrots and is okay with handling them. There is another vet which is thankfully looking to employ and exotics vet which is a start at least.

Still got to say exotics to me would handle a huge range and is not what I was used to in the UK or at Brit Vet in Abu Dhabi there they knew Parrots which was reassuring.

I feel like I am the only one in this country who has asked for the tests on the parrots only to have vets contacting their labs to find out if they do these tests, even I know the labs but don't know how to get through the paper work to send a sample yet, maybe i need to learn this too :facepalm:

Really with all he parrots here one would imagine that there would be a vet who specializes in them. Maybe if I dress 'Polly' as a falcon they will be interested :sneaky:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
That is so sad and scary. I'm guessing not many parrots as companion animals---or not a tradition of seeking health care for them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know middle easterners who have had to contact a regular vet. And the vets over there are not great for regular animals, let alone birds. Be very careful of taking your birds to an unqualified vet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@shanlung Maybe try contacting shanlung, if I remember he was posted in the middle east and might have contacts or friends who can give you some help or put you in touch with someone. I'm figuring nothing ventured, nothing gained. I wish you the best of luck. :hug8:

QBird

Jogging around the block
Thankfully I found out which vet deals with the locals and all the Parrots/Pigeons/Peacocks here by the sound of it. :D

That took a bit longer than expected but I'm very relieved now.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
@shanlung Maybe try contacting shanlung, if I remember he was posted in the middle east and might have contacts or friends who can give you some help or put you in touch with someone. I'm figuring nothing ventured, nothing gained. I wish you the best of luck. :hug8:
I cannot help.
Even with the vets I know, the way they stock their office with commercial parrot food loaded with ethoxyquin and ekky stuff disqualified them already.
And the way the vets I spoke to telling me injections were elixir of life to birdies without doing any tests of any kind and all sickness getting injections. Their special cure all injections. Maybe those injections can cure cancer and Ebola as well.

Luckily I kept my birdies well with good food and exercises and need not have to resort to any vets.