• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How cold is too cold?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Use wood perches as wood does not conduct cold like other materials. Radiator type heaters are fine and help maintain the warmth. They automatically turn off if moved off balance (don't need to fall all the way over) There is another that I cannot remember at the moment. Good thinking on your part.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I used a ceramic heater for the birds before I put in my propane heater. Problem is there is very little air convection movement in a large room and I needed to run a fan to blow the hot air around the room. The radiant heat effect only lasts up to four to six inches away from the HOT ceramic surface. I had the panel mounted behind the canary cage on the wall and then had the cage as close to the wall as I could get it.

The propane furnace is much more efficient for heating the whole room. I think that electric heater would do the job, but I would run it outdoors for three to six hours before using it in the birdroom to burn off any chemicals on the heating elements.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Thanks @Laurul Feather Cat - the company assured me that there are no unsafe materials that off gas or release chemicals into the air, so I think I'm safe. Can't wait, I ordered two and they arrive tomorrow. It's really cold here now, dipping below zero at night.

RadhaVallabhi

Rollerblading along the road
I asked my Avian vet this last time we went and he said birds are more sensitive to heat then cold. As long as they aren't too hot, they'll usually be fine.