• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And off we go!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Haven't we all??? ;) :laugh: :roflmao:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes, about the new flights. Local breeders warned me about heightened agression as caiques get hormonal. Theyre a danger to themselves and other birds. Even now I see Fingers chasing the hens agressively each evening. So separation into pairs is a necessity.

I will keep them in the aviary, but split into pairs in flights. Then group playtime can be controlled and supervised. Each flight is made from galvanised metal, and galvanised bird netting. 6ft tall, almost 6 ft long and 2ft wide. That should hold them in check, plus give them the darkness and seclusion they prefer when given the chance. I will line each flight up along a wall from a corner, so that 2 sides are closed off giving protection and security, yet each pair can still see round the aviary

The centre of the aviary will be free space where I can hang out and play with them when they are out and playing together

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Yes, about the new flights. Local breeders warned me about heightened agression as caiques get hormonal. Theyre a danger to themselves and other birds. Even now I see Fingers chasing the hens agressively each evening. So separation into pairs is a necessity.

I will keep them in the aviary, but split into pairs in flights. Then group playtime can be controlled and supervised. Each flight is made from galvanised metal, and galvanised bird netting. 6ft tall, almost 6 ft long and 2ft wide. That should hold them in check, plus give them the darkness and seclusion they prefer when given the chance. I will line each flight up along a wall from a corner, so that 2 sides are closed off giving protection and security, yet each pair can still see round the aviary

The centre of the aviary will be free space where I can hang out and play with them when they are out and playing together
That sounds wonderful JP! I always go back and forth about galvanized metal cages. I used them once with budgies. Other than that I have always used powder coated cages.

Here in the states most breeders with more than a few pairs, zoos and aviaries use galvanized as well. It certainly makes construction of cages easier. Most breeders weather their cages first to make sure that any loose zinc is removed or worn away.

The size sounds great! I am sure the gang will be thrilled.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes, well mine are made to order. And I have delayed delivery to insist that each galvanised surface is polished clean so that there is no possibility of a bird picking at a loose piece of galvanising.

Im sure the mad gang will get used to the new setup, will they like it? HMM hard to think like a bird brain. theyve had SOOOOOO much freedom so far.

The lovebirds will love the caiques being controlled though!. Im sure there will be a lovebird party when they see the crazy bullies being secured away!

LOL

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Your lucky you have someone to clean your galvanised aviaries down, my dad and I are making three newwalk-in aviaries and the task of cleaning them back with wire brushes, files, vinegar scrub and high pressure hose falls to me :eek:

Defiantly give the eggs a bit more time, the earliest I can normally tell fertility is 4 days after incubation begins and you will see a lovely amber glow and a faint ring forming with a heartbeat in the middle then you really need several days after that before the veins become noticeable, so even if they were laid 5 days ago, she may not start sitting for 2-3 days. I normally leave a good week after I am certain the hen is sitting and keeping the eggs warm before I give up on clear eggs. As you aren't experienced with candling wait at least the week after incubation starts.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks Ann Marie. I had already decided to wait until Sunday at least to make a decision on the eggs. I am now trying to decide on removal timing, based not on my impatience, but on the coming December/January heat.

That aviary will get HOT as Satans underwear with temp outside reaching 34C. If Soentjie is going to make a second attempt this year, Id like her to have it out of the way before Xmas. The caiques will hate the dry heat, so I will wet the aviary down, generating massive humidity which they will love, but which might parboil the lovebirds

Also my aviary guy now has the second flight almost ready, so I have delayed the delivery until next wednesday, and get both together.

He wants the sale of another two at least, so Im sure he will scrub them down well. If not he will lose the second half of the order lol

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok putting birdies to bed tonight I noticed Cha-Cha's vent VERY swollen. Thats the second day I saw it but I kinda ignored it yesterday because, well, Cha_Cha isnt a sexual girl ( or so I thought). Besides its ME she is in love with.

Still she's in her nextbox with Fingers tonight and I can hear her scratching away at the box, working it.

Couldnt be another hen about to lay, could it?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
LOL @ Sandra, but i cant take risks with Cha-Cha's health.

She loves only me, ( boy I WISH she would fall for Fingers), but they dont' beheave like a successful pairing. ( Like Jack Jack and Soentjie for example).

So if she is using Fingers as a toy boy (only), what can I say...'You GO girl!'

However Soentjie laid two eggs without this pronounced swelling of the vent. So I have to accept that there may be a problem.

Egg Bound?. Maybe. Off to the vet today at lunchtime to check. Cant face into the weekend with a potential bird crisis (No I dont dare!)

Truth it is then. And Truth can be expensive.

Last time with Soentjies Pneumonia it cost R8000
This time I would expect the same. Anaesthetic, examination, XRays, possible overnight stay for observation etc etc, another R8000

Ill pay it gladly, I loooove my fids. But anyone thinking of breeding birds for profit should be reading this thread. R8000 is a weeks wages for a highly skilled IT Consultant (me!)

Two weeks wages down in the last 6 weeks. Breeding season just begun.....

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Certainly sounds like ChaCha is about to lay. Some of my girls get very swollen around their vents before laying and is totally normal for them, and some hens are sneaky and don't noticably show they are about to lay, each hen is different. My rule of thumb is if the hens are acting normally, active, eating etc... then I don't get concerned. I'm lucky to have never had an eggbound hen though @saroj12 can probably tell you what signs to look for in an egg bound hen.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks Ann-Marie. I'm just back from the vet and he says she is egg-bound, though he didn't use that term. He could easily be over-reacting, as could I. Cha-Cha is eating, flying and surfing normally, as far as I can see. However, since it is her first egg, I really don't want to take chances. That vent is VERY swollen and we know how birds hide their illnesses till the last minute!

Vet says there is an egg, its not moving, and she has an infection in the egg laying passage.

He didn't specify what his solution is, beyond Baytril for the infection. And he said he will give her calcium. HMM I've been giving them calcium in their soft food for weeks.

He did say she is small, but I don't agree with that. He might be hinting at a standard size for caique eggs, combined with a smaller than average bird, might lead to egg binding problems.

On the way back from the vet I began speculating if it doesnt involve holding her over a bowl of steaming water so that the egg laying muscles will loosen.

Hes holding her overnight so hopefully i will have her back, with new egg, tomorrow

Another scare at Halloween!!

...and who is the Daddy?????

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:Here's to hoping everything turns out okay for Soentje - I don't think there's anything more frightening than the prospect of having someone become ill over the weekend when not all vets are easily accessible (if at all).

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:Here's to hoping everything turns out okay for Soentje - I don't think there's anything more frightening than the prospect of having someone become ill over the weekend when not all vets are easily accessible (if at all).
Oh its Cha_Cha this time. This is potential egg no 3. two for Soentjie, one on the way for Cha_Cha

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My apologies to Cha_Cha (and Soentje) :o:
LOl dont worry I'm bracing myself for more drama. That's only half the hens in breeding mode at the moment. The Green thigheds havent started yet, though Spot, is EXTREMELY hormonal. I bet she's next

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well Cha Cha is back, along with her first egg which I placed in her nest. She regurgitated all over my tshirt on the way home, so I guess she was glad to see me
:hehe:

I think we have a 2 day bbreak before round 2?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok well an eventful night last night. Heard Cha_Cha working the nestbox very late when I went in ( to make B* sure there are no more cockroaches), and thought why is she still working the nestbox when she has an egg. Checked it. Sure enough she had broken it in the activity.

On to Soentjie who cracked one of her eggs in the night as well. This one is still viable, but infertile I'm sure.

Im going to add another two inches to the layer of bedding in the nestboxes today

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Glad to hear Cha Cha is home and well :)

Here is a link to some info on egg binding symptoms and other reproductive issues...
about