• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HQ cage?

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So looking to upgrade my conure cage and finding that I can get great cages from HQ for good prices. However, I'm worried about the safety of the cage paint since they are made in China. Has anyone had safety issues with their HQ cages?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have not had mine tested but if they chip, I take them in and have them stripped and powdercoated with food grade powder coating. Well whichever panel has become defective. It was only $15 for the back panel. Can't beat that. If you have a paint chipper or know your bird will chip paint, go with stainless.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have not had mine tested but if they chip, I take them in and have them stripped and powdercoated with food grade powder coating. Well whichever panel has become defective. It was only $15 for the back panel. Can't beat that. If you have a paint chipper or know your bird will chip paint, go with stainless.
Luckily don't have to worry about that with my baby. She doesn't chew her current cage even though she climbs all over it. And I trust powder coated finishes just worry about the quality of the coating coming from china... Glad to know it can be refinished around here. May do that from the beginning :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have an HQ cage that I've had around 9 years, give or take... have kept around that many birds inside of it as well! (not all at once, but through the years) Knock on wood, no issues with it yet!

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Also, got another question. I have seen numerous people post that they would not go below a 32" x 23" cage for a conure. Do y'all agree with this? Most of the sizes I am finding with appropriate bar spacing are 24 x 22 but I don't want to consider any cages that are too small. Found tons the other day and lost them all :banghead:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yep, I wouldn't put mine in a smaller cage. Once you add perches, toys and platforms, 24x22 is small. Zephyr has a double flight all to himself and he uses every square inch.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I have 3 HQ flight cages! The oldest is about 6.5 yrs with a YSGCC in it an not one problem. I also have one for my love bird - no issues! The 3rd one I just got when I rescued 2 12 week old tiels. They like to chew but not the cage though they climb all over it - inside and out! I got them all on sale w/ no shipping and paid only $90 & $125 for 2 of them. The 3rd one I got off Crraigs list in perfect condition for only $25!!!! So you can find good deals out there! I plan on getting one for my 2 American keets as soon as I find one for the right price!!

Here is a pic of Orly, YSGCC (left) & Pickles, love bird (right)
IMG_4148.2014-09-07_025942.jpg

HQ Aviary Flight Cage with Stand - Flight Bird Cage and Bird Flight Cage from petco.com

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
How sturdy are the flight cages? I plan on having my baby in the dining room next to my computer desk but im scared that one of the kittens might try to tip them or knock the cage over. Thats why im trying for such a sturdy based cage. course the kittens will be kept in a closed room when I'm not around but still trying to be prepared :cautious:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I don't have a problem with stability at all and I have 4 kids:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: We also have big dogs and a tiny chi & yes! The dogs & kids have bumped the cages without knocking them over! Personally I would be more concerned if the kitties hurting your conure through the bars more than the cage tipping over....please teach the kitty to stay away & off of it:wideyed:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you put the cage together correctly, then it's pretty sturdy. (not extremely sturdy, but good enough!) It's not a heavy cage, but likewise, it's also not very light... it is on wheels and if it were bumped, it would be easy to move.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Harder to move on carpet but you can always leave the wheels off for less mobility whether you have it on carpet or hard floors.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
HQ and A&E flight cages are one of the very few pet-related products made in China I'd actually recommend quality-wise.
They both have a good enough safety and quality record I don't feel I'm endangering Peanut with her A&E cage, the HQ is extremely similar.

I wish there was an affordable, decent sized for birds, cage company in the US but that's the way things are these days for cages. I don't know of one American/Western European manufacturer of flight cages. :(

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
For sure I wish some more affordable cages were American made. But I didn't realize A&E was made in China and I know they have high quality. Seemed the same with HQ just want to do my homework. And don't worry beanurita, the kitties won't get a chance! Gonna set the cage in a corner (but its the area of the house we are in most) and make a shield of sorts that will cover lower parts of the 2 exposed sides. Not to mention a flight cage that starts higher up than I was originally thinking of. And the kitties have their own room that they stay in when I'm not there to supervise. And the dogs are crated also in a separate room so no accidents when I'm not home if someone manages to get out of their area :) being super careful with this baby she is my first fid so being like a first time mom lol

QBird

Jogging around the block
I googled "HQ cage toxicity" and found several references one emailed for the toxicity report (2008) anther had a vet test (2007) - the tan colour seemed to have a 2000ppm level for lead from the comment which they state is bad. :confused:

You could always email the company and request a report in case the materials have been changed in the past 7 years (I imagine they will have)?
metals168@qq.com

or contact a vet/other such professional to have it tested?

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I have learned there is no way to contact customer service for HQ. I tried. I have owned one of their cages for 19 months. I think their paint is thin and if you scrub the pan, some of it comes off. This has been my experience. My amazon climbs all over it and have not noticed any damage to the paint. The wheels are not the greatest because one of mine came off so it is glued in.

If you plan to get one, check out bird fairs because you can save quite a bit of money. Of course get one still in the box.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I've had one of these cages for over 6 years now and I've had no issues with it.. no paint chipping no rust anywhere on the bars as I take this cage outside and blast it with the hose a couple of times a year to really give it a good cleaning. Its heavy or sturdy enough and strong on the base so you won't have any trouble with your cats knocking the cage over unless your cats are as large as cougars. :D

The only thing I noticed is you have to tighten the screws on it every 6 months or so especially if you move the cage daily to clean or vacuum underneath or behind it. Moving it by pulling on the base with wheels or the sides of the cage itself seems to make the cage shift which will slowly loosen the tightness of the screws.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I had an HQ flight cage for 10 yrs for my maroon belly conure. It went through 3-4 moves fine. I gave it to a friend for her conure and as far as I know it is still going strong.

I recently bought an HQ double flight cage for my two parakeets. I was worried that the quality had gone down, but quite the opposite. If anything, I think it is more sturdy. I love this cage and my parakeets seem happy in it.

I definitely would not go below 32x23 inches for a conure. My little girl used all of the space in her flight cage.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think the HQ flight cages are well made.

The HQ LARGE COCKATOO/MACAW CAGES, are NOT well made..the wheels are super tiny for a giant cage such as the double macaw cage...the wheels fell flat due to the weight of the double macaw cage and now the cage sits on the legs...