• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Show me your Zons!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Mathew what a beautiful bird. I've had the pleasure of meeting a couple yellow heads and find them to have hilarious personalities.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice to see another DYH. Hard to believe we only have 2 on the forum.
Oh, there's more than 2. Marian's not around much anymore, but she has Hiram. Theresa (I think it's Teresa) has the beautiful Cosmo. Altho not her personal birds, Sarah sometimes talks about Echo and Binkey. She trains/cares for them where she works. ( I think I have that right.) I count them as Avenue birds.

Then there's my demon, Wasabi. I might be missing some other DYAs.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yes....we need more pics! Give me more Zons.

Rikki

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tracy
**While looking through this thread, I noticed that there weren't any pictures of "human parrots". I assume that that this is because either; 1) everyone else on this board is camera shy, 2) no one want's their stunning good looks to distract folks from seeing the actual parrot in the photograph or 3) there is a rule against it...

I'm definately not camera shy.
I'm really not *that* good looking.
Sorry about that. :/

This is Rikki and I about a week after we met last month. I was able to trim her nails about a week later. We have an appointment with the local reccomended "exotic" veteranarian next week for her 1st well birdie appointment and to get her poor bill back into a normal shape...

Here we are tooling along on our trip back from California (to Texas)

A very good friend and extremely experienced parrot person told me that there would be pain and blood when I (tried to) cut Rikki's nails. I am continually grateful to the person who raised her and taught her so many good manners! As soon as she sees the clippers, she'll lift her foot up for clipping. Such a good girl!

Miss Rikki.

Past her bedtime...

Yummy oatmeal!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Miss Rikki is both sweet and gorgeous.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
wow, you were really blessed with a well behaved Amazon.....she is beautiful to boot!

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
How awesome that a Rikki is already so willing to let you be her person! What beautiful colors she has :) :heart:

Rikki

Real Name
Tracy
How awesome that a Rikki is already so willing to let you be her person! What beautiful colors she has :) :heart:
Not that she hasn't made a fantastic choice, :smug: I am pretty awesome ;) but I think part of it is that she went so long without having ANY physical interaction with people. That and I was the 1st person ever who ever risked a second bite... Plus I'm awesome.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Not that she hasn't made a fantastic choice, :smug: I am pretty awesome ;) but I think part of it is that she went so long without having ANY physical interaction with people. That and I was the 1st person ever who ever risked a second bite... Plus I'm awesome.
Now that I think about it...... I wonder if it's because you are awesome? :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She's a lovely Zon! I have to agree she's found herself with an awesome human. :D It's wonderful hearing how much you do for and with her.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Our Kiwi bird :heart:

He was adopted 'knowing' he "hated" women, but he loves BOTH his humans and can't give enough kisses to either of us (and is also more photogenic!)!

Kiwi loves bath time! I don't know that he got the message that he's a parrot, not a duck, but o well....

Is an expert forager and is absolutely HILARIOUS to watch go after treats

Has been learning to love the hoodie I made for him, though it's slow progress for a bird who isn't terribly fond of being touched on the body

And he can't get enough of the car/seeing the world! Even riding halfway across the country when we moved last year in a small travel cage, he was excited and beyond thrilled all 1200 miles of that drive! He now has a bird backpack and can now go out in public and on long hikes (as well as lots of short errands, weather permitting).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love that! Can't imagine an Amazon in a shirt, mine would eat me alive....

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
They know who's worthy of their time and who's not!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Love that! Can't imagine an Amazon in a shirt, mine would eat me alive....
He would eat me alive too! My husband puts the hoodie on him and he just sits there and allows it. Hubby is Kiwi's "chosen one" and he can do whatever he wants to that bird (Kiwi likes me and all, but I just can't do the same things to him, like putting him in a hoodie or up my shirt for example, that my husband can). We've only been 'dressing' him for a few minutes at a time with lots of praise and rewards, and he is becoming used to the whole concept:)

Rikki

Real Name
Tracy
I'm in the process of getting Rikki used to the Aviator harness.... It's a process alright :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
The gorgeous Ollie who came to me as a "mute statue". He's an Orange-wing. It took a year and a half for him to gain the courage to come out of his cage. I adore this guy. He's been with us for just over 4 years. He targets, he'll step up on a hand held perch, will hold his feet steady for nail clipping and I can now skritch him. Right now we are working on him stepping up on my hand - a big thing for him.

This is Chico who is about 49 years old. He was given to me at the end of June - he was going to be put down as nobody wanted him. He's a Panama, has bad arthritis making it difficult for him to get around, is partially blind... and another woman hater! LOL! At first I thought his wings had been pinioned they are so tiny but the vet assures me his thumbs are intact. It looks like he has handicapped himself by chewing off his wings feathers... he is bald under his wings and has no primaries. I have taught him to target - he particularly loves almond butter.

Bobbi, a Red-lored who was thought to be a male for her first 13 years, but is more likely to be a hen. She also arrived at the end of June. A blood test found she had elevated levels of total calcium more commonly found in hens. She is so different to the boys in looks and behaviour that I have been pretty sure she is a hen since she arrived. Her feathers are a little matted - the down feathers in particular - hoping that regular showers will sort that out. She is fully flighted but is out of practice from being shut away for so long. She loves goji berries and will target for them.