• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Birdie's making a strange noise...

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway

Hi, everyone. Lately, Birdie (lovebird) has been making a strange noise. She started making it at least a week ago, but sometimes, she gets into these weird periods where she won't stop making the noise. Is this normal?

Thank you. :)

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Sorry --I hope someone with lovebird experience answers you soon. (but she is a cutie)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Neither Zazu or Cricket make that noise. Perhaps it's a sound she has picked up and is now mimicking. Zazu and Cricket definitely have periods where they make the same sounds multiple times in a row.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I don't have a lovebird but I have a parrotlet. Could it be some sort of mate calling chirp with the bobbing head?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Neither Zazu or Cricket make that noise. Perhaps it's a sound she has picked up and is now mimicking. Zazu and Cricket definitely have periods where they make the same sounds multiple times in a row.
Oh, maybe that's it. She hasn't gone through a period where she continues to mimic the same noise nonstop before, but maybe it's a lovebird thing? Thank you.

I don't have a lovebird but I have a parrotlet. Could it be some sort of mate calling chirp with the bobbing head?
I was considering that too, but the bobbing head is more of a "put me down because I want to explore" thing. :)

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Maybe she's mimicing blowing kisses? Titus sometimes blows kisses in quick succession and it'll be all he says for ages.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Oh, maybe that's it. She hasn't gone through a period where she continues to mimic the same noise nonstop before, but maybe it's a lovebird thing? Thank you.
If it's a sound she learned from you (even if you unintentionally taught it), then perhaps she's trying to communicate. :laugh: Zazu's favourite sound is this whistle that I taught him. Whenever he's excited or wants to get my attention, he'll whistle repeatedly many times in a row. Then we'll whistle back and forth to each other. Sometimes it drives my family members bonkers. :roflmao: I think it's funny and cute.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Hmm, Peanut doesn't make exactly the same noise but she'll make a similar one when she's pouting.
When she's upset and throws a half hearted tantrum she'll thrash her head against my fingers making a noise like that and while nipping air with the side of her beak up against fingers. I think it's the Peanut equivalent of "noooo, please stop." She'll also make the same noise if she gets slightly tangled up and feels mildly (but not scarily or in danger) trapped, like she got into a shirt pile and is lost.
It looks a lot like the end of the first clip when she's trying to get free from your hand.

But Birdie's body language is completely different by the end of the video and doesn't match up with Peanut's at all. So it could be that they're using the same noise differently or it isn't the same noise at all. It isn't a sound Peanut makes at any other time.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Harley does that noise when he wants down or he is trying to get Blu to do something he wants; like mate with him.

QBird

Jogging around the block
I have no idea what she is doing but it sounds sweet :)