• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snuggle huts?

pinkyisblue

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I was thinking about getting one for each of my birds so they had a place to keep warm this winter. I know I get chilly anyway.

Are there any safe huts? All the ones at the store looked questionable with loose strings, carabiners, or odd fabrics. Which ones do you use and find to be generally safe?

I know Bandit has had them in the past, so I have no worries about him getting one.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Roma hated his hut. He likes his blanket hung from the top of the cage over his sleeping corner. it makes a teepee type of cover, but he can peer under it to see when I walk through. Here recently, he has been taking a strap of fleece and covering his perch under his teepee. I guess his toes get chilly, because he stands on it to sleep. :lol:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine have scooter z huts but there is also a large bagel tube you can mount to the cage if chewing is an issue.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Orly (YSGCC):heart::heart::heart:her hut! March will be 7 years of having it since she came home @8 weeks old! Don't judge but it is a happy hut but there were less option then plus she doesn't chew on it or much of anything for that matter. I've tried to get her a new safer bed but she will have NOTHING to do with anything but her good old green hut:pShe actually have......panic attacks(?) When I tried to give her new bedso_OShe isn't big on change - even the simple changes!:xflove:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
If there are any fabrics on it it is potentially dangerous and in my opinion not worth the risk. My Janday had one for about 3 years and never chewed it until one day she got nesty and decided to chew a huge hole in the base within a couple of hours and got her wing caught, thankfully we found her before she had any damage done but she did have some swelling.
Fabric fibres can also be ingested and caught in the digestive tract, even small fibres can be licked up and get caught and build up over time to cause a blockage. Most Avian vets (at least in Australia) are recommending to not use any fabrics and cotton rope perches, toys etc... One online bird store here wont even sell these products anymore due to the amount of medical issues arising from these products.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
IMG_0932.JPG My flock has " Betta beds", whats nice, is the covers, can come off, to be washed.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I got one for Riley because the vet recommended one (it's also a happy hut) but she's only actually gone inside a couple of times mostly she uses it as a sleeping perch. There is one from MSBS that has a hard plastic piece in the bottom to make it sturdier if thats a concern.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I made mine from tubes made of vegetable parchment (I emailed the company to make sure they were bird safe) Chube | Happy Pet and plastic links, like the ones for babies, like these Amazon.com : Bright Starts Lots of Links- Solid Colors : Baby Toys : Baby

I bore a hole at either end of the tube and link two links together at each end. Then I use the links to attach them to the back of the cage :)

Magpie chews hers, but the tubes are really cheap to replace (about £2) and Titus doesn't bother chewing his, but I replace it if it gets dirty or wet.

This is Magpie in Titus's before I used the plastic links. Originally I used vegan leather to suspend it, but I think the plastic links are more stable and safer.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I've also seen tube ones made from PVC pipe with stainless steel hardware to bolt onto the cage, I'm actually going to try making some myself as they are so much safer than the fabric beds.
Jolly balls are also a safer alternative for a little hide away for small birds.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I made mine from tubes made of vegetable parchment (I emailed the company to make sure they were bird safe) Chube | Happy Pet and plastic links, like the ones for babies, like these Amazon.com : Bright Starts Lots of Links- Solid Colors : Baby Toys : Baby

I bore a hole at either end of the tube and link two links together at each end. Then I use the links to attach them to the back of the cage :)

Magpie chews hers, but the tubes are really cheap to replace (about £2) and Titus doesn't bother chewing his, but I replace it if it gets dirty or wet.

This is Magpie in Titus's before I used the plastic links. Originally I used vegan leather to suspend it, but I think the plastic links are more stable and safer.

Cute baby.... :xflove:

Wait, yes I meant to ask what size tube before I got distracted by cuteness :lol:

pinkyisblue

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So much good info! Thanks so much for the replies. I think Ill make a pvc pipe bed and stuff it with aspen. I think that ought to work out well.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Cute baby.... :xflove:

Wait, yes I meant to ask what size tube before I got distracted by cuteness :lol:
:D I use a medium - not sure of the exact dimensions, I'll try and measure tomorrow.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Orly (YSGCC):heart::heart::heart:her hut! March will be 7 years of having it since she came home @8 weeks old! Don't judge but it is a happy hut but there were less option then plus she doesn't chew on it or much of anything for that matter. I've tried to get her a new safer bed but she will have NOTHING to do with anything but her good old green hut:pShe actually have......panic attacks(?) When I tried to give her new bedso_OShe isn't big on change - even the simple changes!:xflove:
That is what my baby is in... she got used to it at the store and she sleeps in it every night! i just check it daily for damage and do a thorough check during weekly cleaning :D

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
@fireball249 I check.Orly's daily as well!! I've been thinking of trying the tube one......if I can get it in a green close to her happy hut color o_O