• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eckie at SoCal shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
calling the shelter first thing in the morning I have pull rights here but I doubt they will let me rescue pull- but I will try. Most likely I have to be apart of the draw... hope I get him!! :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice looking bird. Right now he's listed under lost pets (not adoptable yet) at the OC Shelter.
Best of luck, though, @CaliEckies when he does become available.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We called on our rescue line. He will be up for adoption on the 16th. Not known if he will be first come first serve or raffle yet.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We called on our rescue line. He will be up for adoption on the 16th. Not known if he will be first come first serve or raffle yet.
Gosh, fingers crossed for you! I know he would land in a great place. :)

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hey CaliEckies try to get a bunch of friends to go there too if it's a draw....it'll give you better odds. If I wasn't working I'd go down there to help you.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks- we have done that before I am calling again tomorrow it wasn't 100% certain if it was going to be tomorrow or the 16th. When I find out the time and date 100% I will ask my volunteers :) thanks

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Called again today they might hold him for another week. :(
I am going to try and see if I can go around the drawing and rescue pull him before he goes to the public. If not I can probably get 3 people to go with me down there if anyone else wants to help to get their name in the drawing I always appreciate it. I will let you guys know if I can work the system to get him pulled under the rescue. :xflove:

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Is this at the OC Animal shelter? I would help if I didn't have the whole PBFD thing going on. That said, I fear for the bird, it could very easily end up in the wrong hands in a raffle situation like this, especially if he's special needs...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you get him! Keep us posted.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't think he is special needs. He was brought in to the drop off window as a "stray" which I highly doubt someone found him but whatever. I am going to be headed there after work. I am getting out early so I can head to the shelter to wait for the raffle. I hope we get him *FINGERSCROSSED*

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Didn't win the raffle... Hope he found a great home though. :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you didn't get the eclectus. I also hope he went to a good home. If you know, how many others were there for the raffle and what do they charge do adopt a parrot?
Don't like those raffles. I had the same thing happen to me with a puppy at the Inland Humane Society in Pomona. I was there when they first brought him in with his mom. I went to visit him several times. Went there on day of raffle and was surprised that there were several others interested. I did not get him. Los Angeles County Animal Control (at least the Baldwin Park one) does not hold a raffle. It's just first come, first serve there.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
There were a lot of ppl about 25-30! Most I have ever seen for a bird ever! They charge $88.00 so I assume a few of them were there to try and get the bird to flip it online for $

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There were a lot of ppl about 25-30! Most I have ever seen for a bird ever! They charge $88.00 so I assume a few of them were there to try and get the bird to flip it online for $
We would hope not but that was my thought, too, that if the price was good someone would buy him and then flip him for a profit. :( This is the fee policy at the LA County shelters for "exotic" birds:
(5) “The adoption price of “small other” animals shall be 50% of the purchase price
for such animals in the retail pet market. The retail purchase price shall be
established by obtaining the average purchase price from three independent retail
sources and calculating the average price. At no time will a “small other” animal be
adopted for less than $10 unless authorized by the Director.”

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hopefully he went to a good home

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
I really think they need to charge more. I regret not going and trying to help myself now, in spite of everything. I would have gladly even footed the bill to make sure he got to a good home. This shelter (if it's in the one I'm thinking of) is sort of run down, and next to a jail. I'm terrified that he got adopted by a person who would keep a parrot in a chicken wire DIY cage.

Additionally I think it's completely wrong to "lotto" the birds off. They should really adopt an auction policy. It would bring in more funds and help ensure that the birds go to a better home. Perhaps I should write them a letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.