• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special Needs Cage Pics?

TheColossus

Moving in
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a new cage for an older special needs Meyers :meyers: I adopted recently. Does anyone with older birds who can't fly, etc. have any pictures of their setups? I'm having trouble finding good references online.

Specifically, my bird has balance issues, he can't fly, and he has several serious old injuries. He gets around using his beak and feet, and I've had recommendations of lots of platforms and connected perches and such, but am just totally lost on how to create a nice layout...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
my Rocky is also special needs bird because he is blind in one eye. he has learned how to get around his cage pretty well. now he has cancer and was having problems staying on his perches. some body very sweet here provide a platform perch and rope perch for him. i took some pictures to show them. i'll put up the link to the thread and you can read thru it if you choose.
Rocky's visit with the vet | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
remember to keep everything a simple as possible for your feather buddy. once he is use to where his perches are, try not to change them too much. same with food/water dishes. they seem to memorize where they feel safe. Rocky's cage is 19-3/4" X19-3/4" X 29" high.
:tiel2: and mom

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hachi can fly but she struggles to move around with all her arthritis. Dr. O mentioned everything on one level for her so she doesn't have to climb much. I will try to get a good picture for you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd also suggest some of the "rodent" or seagrass mats - you can zip tie them to the sides or other things but your birdy will be able to use his beak and feet. I believe the rough texture of both/either is a bonus because it minimizes the "slip" factor. I have a splay legged Quaker :hug8: who shares a guinea pig habitat with another lady Quaker and the rougher surfaces are easier for her to grip and travel on vs smooth surfaces.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ya, Hachi doesn't move around much...she scoots over to eat and drink and will scoot back to shred her cupcake papers but that is about it.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I'd also suggest some of the "rodent" or seagrass mats - you can zip tie them to the sides or other things but your birdy will be able to use his beak and feet. I believe the rough texture of both/either is a bonus because it minimizes the "slip" factor. I have a splay legged Quaker :hug8: who shares a guinea pig habitat with another lady Quaker and the rougher surfaces are easier for her to grip and travel on vs smooth surfaces.
I can't believe I didn't see this earlier but was reading this thread. Have actually just purchased one for my budgies with similar problem! Glad to know they are safe as the pet shop guaranteed they were.

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
IMG_20150517_090123739.jpg
I think it depends on how special needs she is. Ours had a broken wing and subsequent balance issues. I set up the cage that he has ease of access to water, food and sleeping arrangements. But I also added exercise options with smaller branch size. That helped him increase his muscles and flexibility. He falls much less now and is more active. 1431867854217707372923.jpg