• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting

miima

Moving in
I posted my issue on another part of the website but thought I would post here too.

I have 2 eclectus parrots, male and female.

Percy my male eclectus is 8 months old and I have had him since he was 3 months. He was not used to people at all when we got him so he bit and scratched us up but after a day of continuous attention he warmed up to us and is now a very cuddly bird. He is starting to talk and can wave and turn around on command.

My problem is with my female eclectus. My ex partner rushed into getting her without my approval and she has been rather difficult to bond with. My partner was working with her but now I am the solo parent.
She is roughly 19 months, I don't know much about her as I didn't know she was joining the family. I had met her once when we took Percy for a playdate and she was lovely. All I know is that the breeders who had her clipped her wings badly and so her previous owners had to take her to the vet and she had surgery to repair them.
It appears her previous owners didn't do much training with her and she was definitely a one person bird with the female of the house. The vet encouraged them to get her a mate as it would sort out her behaviour and social issues.

When she was brought home she was terrified of my partner but for some reason wanted to be with me. My partner started to train her a week later and she started biting me to the point I was bleeding. She would sneak up on us and bite our ankles until they bled.

She bonded a little with my partner but still continues to bite me and I embarrassingly admit that I am now sort of afraid to work with her out of fear of being bitten.

I don't want her to be a cage bird, but I am clueless as to what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Target training would be a great first step!